Are there any US Insurers that offer compound rates with multiple motorcycles?

9 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Progressive does allow multiple motorcycles on a single policy.  I've had it for years.  Actually, they used to limit a policy to five motorcycles, but they since raised that number, I was told.  I currently have four insured on my Progressive policy.  Maybe they don't offer it everywhere or maybe you didn't speak to the right representative.

Thanks!

I am going to check today with my agent.

I pay Geico $163 per year for coverage of two motorcycles.  I do not have any collision coverage, only the minimum liability required by the state of Ohio.

For only my 2014 V7 alone it was about $75 per year.  When I added the older 2000 V11 Sport the premium increased by $100.  The lady on the phone said that the older V11 cost more since it had "Sport" in the name.  They must assume you will drive it faster :race:

In Norway anything with an R is a NoNo, don’t mention RR. Same problem everywhere, try explaining to the insurance lady about an old Beemer boxer, it’s NOT a fast bike. :rasta:.  Rates to live with up here, don’t say it loud.

Cheers Tom 

9 hours ago, footgoose said:

Is anyone suggesting a rider can or could, buy ins for one bike (lets say $150 annually) and on the same policy add a bike or three, and the rate is still $150 for all? The logic being the one ridden is insured and the others not, unless you ride them? Theoretically I could crash the insured one on Monday, #2 is still insured to crash on Tuesday, and #3 on Wednesday.. and all for the same $150 premium? This makes no business sense to me. Now if the 3 in one single policy cost $450, I get it.

The principle was that, only from Farmers, only for cars. However, to prevent abuse, you had to tell which car was in storage, and which car was active ahead of time.

At the time, I had multiple cars, only used one at a time. I would send an email, stating the day and the time, car 1 in storage, car 2 active. Or both cars in storage, or both cars active.

The premium would be reduced accordingly, significantly, because I had the most comprehensive insurance policy.

Since a lot of you on this forum have multiple motorcycles, I was curious if you had one policy per motorcycle, or if you had a compound = blanket coverage for several bikes, given that you could ride a single one at a time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cowtownchemist said:

I pay Geico $163 per year for coverage of two motorcycles.  I do not have any collision coverage, only the minimum liability required by the state of Ohio.

For only my 2014 V7 alone it was about $75 per year.  When I added the older 2000 V11 Sport the premium increased by $100.  The lady on the phone said that the older V11 cost more since it had "Sport" in the name.  They must assume you will drive it faster :race:

I found the lack of ABS can also be a factor for a greater premium. Taking a safety riding course can be a decreasing factor, however.

I've been sent to Foremost for the bikes.  Farmer's wouldn't cover them.  I have no idea what kind of deal I'm getting.  With a house, three bikes, 4 vehicles and a travel trailer, I've lost track.

For years, I've been saying I should go to an insurance broker.  As much as a tightwad as I am, I've just never had the gumption to get my insurance in place. I know I'm throwing $ thousands a year out the window.  I need to get all my policies together and get them bid out.  And don't think for a minute that you'll get fairer treatment for a claim than one company vs another.  That horse as left the barn.  They'll all screw you in a NY minute.  Of course it varies from state to state.  My state is owned by insurance companies.  (Example, my sister has been arguing with State Farm since a tornado took off part of her roof in April!  The house still has tarps over it and they're arguing whether they'll pay for a new roof.  BTW- the entire town is still in shambles.)  *rant over*

In my case, the local Farmer's franchise sold my policy to another Farmer's in a town 25 miles away.  My town has 90,000 people in metro of 1m.  There must a couple of dozen Farmer's closer to me.  

It's a good time to get my policies together for bid. 

• Like 2

When I first insured the Griso for the minimum liability required by the state of California, I paid Geico ~$95/year.

They were the only one honoring my decades as a foreign motorcycle driver license holder and I did it all online, never talked to an agent. 

After a year or two, I can’t remember :oldgit: they offered to increase the liability coverage with no increase in premium . . . All good!

When I added the V11S to the policy, my premium went up ~$5/year :rasta:  Although for some reason the vin # makes it appear as a V11 Ballabio, so that takes the Sport  nomenclature out of the equation. I won’t complain . . .

After the Covid debacle, they issued me a $20 refund . . .

Now after many years with them with no claims and automatically added discounts my yearly premium has gone down this year to $77 for the 2 bikes.

So, 2 bikes, 1 policy and decent coverage for less than $100/year and a company that seems to look after their customer without me having to talk to anyone or be on the phone for hours on end . . .  Yeah, I’m happy with Geico!

And as @LowRyter aptly said, don’t think for a minute your claim is gonna be treated more fairly by one company over another because you’re giving them more money . . . .  There is a good reason the very rich don’t carry insurance when not obligated, it’s cheaper in the end to cover individual incidents if and when they occur than pay for a recurring policy that you may never need . . . .  Insurance is a scam . . . . Thank the Lloyd’s of London :moon:

46 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

. . .  Insurance is a scam . . .

Maybe not a scam, but definitely a bet. You bet that you are going to have a problem that the insurance will cover, and the insurance company bets that you aren't. All well and good, but somehow the insurance companies seem to always be able to set the odds. :huh2:

5 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Yes it is...I had all my insurances requoted by a smaller company in the NW. My policies included 4 passenger vehicles, work truck, motorcycles, earthquake insurance and home. I saved over 3k for apples to apples coverage. When you stay with the same company for years, there is price creep going on that I never noticed. Once I compared, my eyes were opened.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, p6x said:

Thanks!

I am going to check today with my agent.

Yes, we can combine on one policy.  The cost to add this with full coverage, is $475 for the year for BOTH bikes.  You currently pay $302 for the year for the one.

I just need VIN number if you decide to move forward!

I go from 25.17 USD per month, to about 40. USD;

But it is not one in storage and the other active. Both are fully insured at all times, so they can be ridden together. I just need to develop ubiquity.

The full coverage includes medical and litigation protection.

7 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I've been sent to Foremost for the bikes.  Farmer's wouldn't cover them.  I have no idea what kind of deal I'm getting.  With a house, three bikes, 4 vehicles and a travel trailer, I've lost track.

For years, I've been saying I should go to an insurance broker.  As much as a tightwad as I am, I've just never had the gumption to get my insurance in place. I know I'm throwing $ thousands a year out the window.  I need to get all my policies together and get them bid out.  And don't think for a minute that you'll get fairer treatment for a claim than one company vs another.  That horse as left the barn.  They'll all screw you in a NY minute.  Of course it varies from state to state.  My state is owned by insurance companies.  (Example, my sister has been arguing with State Farm since a tornado took off part of her roof in April!  The house still has tarps over it and they're arguing whether they'll pay for a new roof.  BTW- the entire town is still in shambles.)  *rant over*

In my case, the local Farmer's franchise sold my policy to another Farmer's in a town 25 miles away.  My town has 90,000 people in metro of 1m.  There must a couple of dozen Farmer's closer to me.  

I renegotiate my insurance policies each and every year.

Especially housing insurances. What they do, is once they have onboarded you, they increase the premium each year, sometimes by stupid amounts; thus, since I have purchased a house, in December 2016, I have changed my housing insurance each and every year.

Each year, the previous insurance companies increased the premium without any justification.

I would actually self insure myself if I could. As you stated, those premiums you pay are all lost funds. Any damage you have, there is always a clause that you did not know about that is used to avoid reimbursing you. I am in a flooding zone, although we never got flooded, I am in a hurricane zone too. My household insurance does not cover flood.

I do the same for energy. I change my power provider each time my contract is due. They usually have attractive deals to capture you.

Where I am trapped, is with my ISP. We only have two providers, and there is no difference between them, even if they try to make it difficult to compare.

My Progressive policy is due in March, so I am going to shop around to see if I can get two bikes for less than 40 bucks a month.

Ah, yes, finance contracts (including "insurance"):

The Large Print Giveth,

and

The Small Print Taketh Away.

:nerd:

• Haha 2