My engine is pinging when loading it, above 4000 rpm...

p6x

I got the Le Mans back after full maintenance, including TPS setup, remapping of the ECU.

The engine is pinging when I do a hard throttle opening, even above 4000 rpm on 5th.

The only time I got the engine to ping, was when I was comparing octane contents. I thought the pinging was only happening with regular gas.

If I drive like I usually do, there is never any pinging, because I never do any kind of hard acceleration.

I am almost certain the pinging existed before the TPS adjustment and remapping, with premium gas.

The Quota does not ping at all.

Anyone else has their V11 engine pinging under hard solicitation?

Mine doesn't ping.  It has a PC.  Likely the timing is a little too advanced and/or lean.  I'd guess they were a little aggressive with the re-tune.  And a contributor could be a little carbon build up given the age of the engine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, p6x said:

... remapping of the ECU.

Assuming there is nothing like a Power Commander involved, i.e. the re-map was really just that in the ECU, do you have a copy of the original map? If not, I'm quite sure one could be found in the Guzzidiag "experts community" here in Germany. Or maybe someone here can read out the map on his bike and send it to you. I'd offer to do that, but I don't know for sure that mine is original, and mine is not running all that well anyway. It's got the "cough and splutter at 2,800 r.p.m." syndrom, and I haven't figured out exactly why yet.

Anyway...

The thought is, read out and save the new map. Re-install the original map, and see how that runs. Put the new one back in, and see if the pinging is worse than with the original map.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why you remapped your ECU,the oem map fueling on my '03 Lemans is very good,but it is a 15M & I have the trim at +28 (ran well before I changed it)

My only guzzi that does have a tendency to ping if I push it outside of it's comfort zone is my '08 CalVin,it also has a 15RC ECU like your '04 Lemans iirc.

My CalVin's 02 sensor has been disabled in the map & is running open loop. 

Lucky Phil's research into high quality Bosch O2 sensors to replace the inferior oems,changes the landscape for 15RC owners;or any guzzi/bike running a closed loop.imho

If the faster response times of the Bosch O2 sensors enable the 15RC ECU to make instant changes to correct the AFR & greatly improve fueling issues, that's where I'd be spending time & effort on a 15RC bike,fwiw idk. 

• Thanks 1

I hate to show my ignorance but , do these bikes have an open loop / closed loop built into the computer system w/the O2 sensor style system ? 

On automobiles the ECM goes into closed loop when the engine is up to operating temp and the O2 sensor is hot enough to  start "working".  

I assume the non-O2 sensor bikes are programmed to run as is throughout  the temp (cold to hot) temp range?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gstallons said:

I hate to show my ignorance but , do these bikes have an open loop / closed loop built into the computer system w/the O2 sensor style system ? 

On automobiles the ECM goes into closed loop when the engine is up to operating temp and the O2 sensor is hot enough to  start "working".  

I assume the non-O2 sensor bikes are programmed to run as is throughout  the temp (cold to hot) temp range?

I think all efi guzzis were open loop until the 15RC ECU bikes,which had the ability to read an O2 sensor.

I'll leave the explanation of the fine details of how the systems & maps work to someone else,,,,

I've read some ECUs & maps use a variety of sensors, # of rpms,etc to make sensor/fuelling changes. 

• Like 1

No , I'm good on theory , I was just wondering.

W/O2 sensor computer systems on automotive vehicles the engine coolant sensor decides when to go into closed loop and (in theory) the O2 sensor is hot enough to start determining the oxygen content of the exhaust gases. These sensors started out w/one wire , then a second wire was added to have an absolutely good ground for better reading . Then came the four wire system for the addition of a heating element to heat up the sensor for a faster closed loop engagement .

All other (early style) w/o any oxygen sensors were "closed / open loop" from beginning to end . I don't care too much for this but it was less complicated to engineer/fabricate . Being in the nascent stages , everything is simpler. 

• Like 3

I run nothing but 92 octane ethanol-free gas in my '04. With supposed 9.8:1 compression and old-school combustion chambers, high octane is the way to go. My ECU has been re-flashed, probably by Guzzi-Tech, but the label is unreadable. Never any trace of pinging. I would check your timing.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, gstallons said:

I'll take the liberty of linking to a video that Paul Minnaert linked to in the german forum. It is a screen-video showing Guzzidiag running on a Breva 750, i.e. a 15RC ECU.

Paul wrote that it goes into closed loop at 3:14. I have to say, I can't see the exact moment, but a bit after 3:00 one can see the temperature approaching 60° C, and that the Lambda integrator and Lambda values change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUOtoYCifN4

As I understand it, from the 15 RC on, that is how the system behaves. 15M and before (without a Lambda sensor), as already mentioned, don't have an open loop/ closed loop function.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/15/2024 at 5:21 PM, p6x said:

I got the Le Mans back after full maintenance, including TPS setup, remapping of the ECU.

The engine is pinging when I do a hard throttle opening, even above 4000 rpm on 5th.

The only time I got the engine to ping, was when I was comparing octane contents. I thought the pinging was only happening with regular gas.

If I drive like I usually do, there is never any pinging, because I never do any kind of hard acceleration.

I am almost certain the pinging existed before the TPS adjustment and remapping, with premium gas.

The Quota does not ping at all.

Anyone else has their V11 engine pinging under hard solicitation?

I can say once summer is here, and the motor has its normal running heat in it, both of my LeMans (02 stock/03 exhaust mods) ping slightly under hard accel. Primarily at hard acceleration when speeds are above 60-70 mph.  My 2016 Norge also does this during summer heat, and same hard accel, but this ECU has been reflashed by GuzziTech.  I run alcohol free 93 octane in all my Guzzis to minimize.

Edited by Tom in Virginia
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I don't know why you remapped your ECU,the oem map fueling on my '03 Lemans is very good,but it is a 15M & I have the trim at +28 (ran well before I changed it)

To take into account the "StayInTune" exhaust system; https://staintune.com.au/

I am not able to say what ECU is installed in my Le Mans, since the label has been ripped off.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

If the faster response times of the Bosch O2 sensors enable the 15RC ECU to make instant changes to correct the AFR & greatly improve fueling issues, that's where I'd be spending time & effort on a 15RC bike,fwiw idk. 

Awright...

I don't have an 02 sensor on my Le Mans, do I?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, p6x said:

To take into account the "StayInTune" exhaust system; https://staintune.com.au/

I am not able to say what ECU is installed in my Le Mans, since the label has been ripped off.

I was running stock oem map with Mistral crossover & mufflers & no dbk;the fueling is fine.

Doc has already replied that you don't have an 02 sensor,which means that you should have a 15M ECU;

I understood that some of the later '04 models had a 15RC,idk

To make absolutely certain how your bike is set up;get a good light & eyes & possibly sensitive fingers to check all around the H pipe crossover; if your bike is one of the later models with the 15RC,you should find an O2 sensor mounted on the H pipe crossover.

If the H pipe isn't stock or has possibly been plugged look for an O2 sensor that might have been tucked up out of the way someplace in that general area.

fwiw

• Like 1