How low can you go? 9 months and still for sale?

activpop

I am only on anti-social media. Please tell what the particulars are.

• Like 1

You can look at that ad without signing up (I'm allergic to facebook too....).

But here's a summary:

2003 model California, 38.600 miles, $2.500. Comes with a set of panniers, looks like Hepco & Becker. Looks clean in the video and photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks like a great value at that price for somebody who wants that style of bike. 

Not my color, but the bike is spotless!

It may have sold already? when I looked for a Quota, I found out that people forget to remove the bikes from the market after they have sold.

3 hours ago, audiomick said:

(I'm allergic to facebook too....)

I do too, however I am part of the Quota group now, and it works a bit like this forum, so I have at least found one use for FB.

The market for that kind of bike has to be hyper small. You first have to be a Guzzi geek, which is already a small audience, and the want a cruiser that's not a Harley.

I'm surprised Guzzi ever sold any of those bikes.

Facebook Marketplace is a wacky place. Heck, if you're looking for something Italian funky: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/420703237079257/

Selling anything on FB marketplace is a crapshoot.  I don't understand why so many people take the time to respond, say they will meet up and then totally flake out. ...and don't get me started on the "Is it still available" button response.......

2 minutes ago, droydx said:

Selling anything on FB marketplace is a crapshoot.  I don't understand why so many people take the time to respond, say they will meet up and then totally flake out. ...and don't get me started on the "Is it still available" button response.......

Yet, I found my Quota through Facebook Marketplace, and the seller was super nice. Prior to that, I had two good experiences with other sellers, including one when I flew to Boise Idaho.

Like anything else, I think it is a hit or miss, depending on the individuals. Incidentally, I purchased my V11 from a dealership in Florida, from a Cycletrader add, and it turned out to be a much more frustrating experience.

While the guy I interacted with seemed super nice and willing, the day I flew there to pick up the bike, I found out that it was far from "ready to ride" as I had been told throughout.

1 hour ago, swooshdave said:

The market for that kind of bike has to be hyper small. You first have to be a Guzzi geek, which is already a small audience, and the want a cruiser that's not a Harley.

Facebook Marketplace is a wacky place. Heck, if you're looking for something Italian funky: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/420703237079257/

I think that Guzzi sold quite a number of the Tonti California models, especially after a major moto-mag-rag named it Cruiser of the Year in '98.

Bill

8 hours ago, audiomick said:

You can look at that ad without signing up (I'm allergic to facebook too....).

But here's a summary:

2003 model California, 38.600 miles, $2.500. Comes with a set of panniers, looks like Hepco & Becker. Looks clean in the video and photos.

It asks me to sign in(?) I think that potential buyers view the 38K miles with suspicion, as many bikes are in need of freshening at that point. As well the Cali was meant to evoke the 1060s-1970s San Francisco PD Guzzis and that may narrow the field even more. It is getting to the point where listing compression check results might help. These bikes are exotic, rare and eccentric in the grand scheme of things, but that does not always translate into desirable. The sporting side of Guzzi always attracted more eyes, as the US market is awash in cruisers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

I think that Guzzi sold quite a number of the Tonti California models, especially after a major moto-mag-rag named it Cruiser of the Year in '98.

Bill

I wonder how much that Cruiser of the Year cost them?

1 hour ago, swooshdave said:

I wonder how much that Cruiser of the Year cost them?

Wait... are you implying that the press is not totally objective, fair, impartial, and free of outside financial influences? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, swooshdave said:

6 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

I think that Guzzi sold quite a number of the Tonti California models,

Funny you blokes should write that...

I started riding motorcycles in about 1984. My impression of Guzzi (in Melbourne at the time...) was red, eccentric, and sporty. I.e. Le Mans. The first time I saw a California (or was it a Nevada or a Florida? Chopper style, whatever...) I thought "why on earth does a company that builds such beautiful sport bikes even bother to build something like that?".

Then I came to Germany, got a  bike, got a Guzzi (the first one was a V35 Imola. No power, but red, sporty looking and beautiful...) and started spending time on a German Guzzi forum.

It turns out, in Europe (or at least in Germany, but I'm convinced it is not restricted to Germany...), the Tonti California is considered to be "the" iconic and defining Guzzi. The beautiful, sleek, sporty things are just a niche product. :huh2:

Weird, really, because they all know about the V8 race bike, and the the first Tonti frame was the V7 Sport (sleek, sporty, beautiful...) and so on. But the California seems to be considered to be the "mainstream" Guzzi model.

I still can't quite come to grips with the idea. B)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Funny you blokes should write that...

I started riding motorcycles in about 1984. My impression of Guzzi (in Melbourne at the time...) was red, eccentric, and sporty. I.e. Le Mans. The first time I saw a California (or was it a Nevada or a Florida? Chopper style, whatever...) I thought "why on earth does a company that builds such beautiful sport bikes even bother to build something like that?".

Then I came to Germany, got a  bike, got a Guzzi (the first one was a V35 Imola. No power, but red, sporty looking and beautiful...) and started spending time on a German Guzzi forum.

It turns out, in Europe (or at least in Germany, but I'm convinced it is not restricted to Germany...), the Tonti California is considered to be "the" iconic and defining Guzzi. The beautiful, sleek, sporty things are just a niche product. :huh2:

Weird, really, because they all know about the V8 race bike, and the the first Tonti frame was the V7 Sport (sleek, sporty, beautiful...) and so on. But the California seems to be considered to be the "mainstream" Guzzi model.

I still can't quite come to grips with the idea. B)

I question a lot of German choices. This would be one of them.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scud said:

Wait... are you implying that the press is not totally objective, fair, impartial, and free of outside financial influences? 

I'm not sure about all of that. I was just asking how much. :P

• Haha 3