Introduction Thread

al_roethlisberger

Just acquired a 2004 Coppa. Very excited to add this terrific motorcycle to my collection. Came upon the bike via word of mouth and was blown away by the looks and equipment. Hopefully this site will be of help as I learn about my new bike. One of my riding buddies has a Norge and is very jealous of my find. Perfect for runs through the New Hampshire and Vermont roads.

The rest of my current bikes;

1959 Triumph T100 total restoration

2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R 8100 miles

2004 Ducati ST4S Senna colors 6500 miles

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure 23000 miles

and my wife's Royal Enfield C5 Chrome. New this year.

Tod

You should let me ride it this spring/summer to make sure there are no problems w/the bike. I would hate for you to be stranded on the side of the road , etc.......

You should let me ride it this spring/summer to make sure there are no problems w/the bike. I would hate for you to be stranded on the side of the road , etc.......

Life at times brings unexpected gifts. This time the Guzzi.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. My name is Jeff Wright and I build bikes. I have owned a V11 sense 2000. Recently I have began to mess it up a bit. I have been lurking in the shadows of most the Guzzi forums for ever. Considering what Im doing, I figured it would be a good time to share and ask.

Cheers!

Jeff

7.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, here we go. I worked at Midway Cycles back in the 80's, before the Guzzi importer came down to North Carolina. Road raced on off through the 80's and 90's, RD400's, RZ350's, EX500's then Ducati's. (Alazurra based and '90 750 Sport). Didn't actually own a Guzzi until I hung up the leathers. And though at this time there is a Griso and a V11 Sport in the garage. Both are leaving next week to be replaced by a '04 V11 Cafe Sport. I'm actually pretty excited about it. 

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-04-28 at 3.19.03 PM.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am pretty new to the world of Moto Guzzi, but I have loved them for many years.  I am returning to motorcycling after a nearly 19 year hiatus, and my steed of choice is a 2003 V11 Le Mans.  I will be getting it at around 8:00 AM tomorrow CDT here in St. Louis, MO USA!!  I bought it ("won it?") off eBay a couple of weeks ago.  It's Very Red with some Black trim, Red valvecovers and Red "Pork chops" as well.  It looks like one of the previous owners wanted it to look like a Rosso Mandello.  The Red valve covers are what inspired my screen name (gee, that's a shock).

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and I'll be posting some pics of the blessed event tomorrow, most likely! 

Y'all keep the shiny side up.

Sincerely,

Brian Goldberg

STL, MO  USA

2003 Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans

2006 Porsche Boxster S

2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS

No Garage - Yeah, I know, I know...

• 1 month later...

First time poster on here, although I have lurked for a month or so, doing research.

As of yesterday a new to me Moto Guzzi owner too.  I swapped my KTM SuperDuke for a 2001? V11Sport well I think its a V11 Sport... Lol it seems part way between Rosso Magnello and a normal V11 Sport (I'm sure a previous owner added some things).  Vin # definately says it's 2001, but some parts would lead me to beleive its 2002 (triangular disk brake holes as an example). Lol is there a way to identify model by Vin?

Peculiar swap I know but the KTM although wonderfull to ride was a bit too long in the inseam for me especially now as I live in the city with various nasty pockmarked roads that really require full foot on the ground at all times when you stop. Since I moved to the city it always made me a bit nervous with slippery streetcar rails holes big enough to swallow cars etc. So after 4 years it was time for a change.

I havent ridden much on the Guzzi yet, but wow very different feel. I kind of feel like it would ride through a brick wall its that solid (but in a good way).

Anyway just introducing myself, lots of really good info on here and a joke thread too.

Regards Ray Boorman, Toronto Ontario Canada

photo_zps5c57c2b2.jpg

Nice looking V11, Ray! One of a kind, for sure. The clip-ons look to be 2001 vintage. 10th digit in the VIN is model year: Y, 2000; 1, 2001; 2,2002 etc.

Have fun with your Guzzi!

First time poster on here, although I have lurked for a month or so, doing research.

Vin # definately says it's 2001, but some parts would lead me to beleive its 2002 (triangular disk brake holes as an example). Lol is there a way to identify model by Vin?

I kind of feel like it would ride through a brick wall its that solid 

Anyway just introducing myself, lots of really good info on here and a joke thread too.

Regards Ray Boorman, Toronto Ontario Canada

Hello Ray. Welcome aboard!

Quite a unique bike. I am thinking you are right that it is similar to a Rosso Mandello. Is the front fender carbon fiber? I can't make out for sure though by the colour of the pork chops or the valve colours. My RM seems a lighter colour but hard to know with digital colour.

Don't worry about the brick wall ... with those pipes the wall will hear you coming and part for you!

Thanks for reminding us that the jokes column hasn't been updated for a while. Must look into that!

Good to have another bike in Canada. Someday I'll get my bike back east and maybe see ya someday!

Cheers

Jim

Don't let the discs fol you ... there were triangular holed discs in 2000 even.

Thanks for the info Docc, Jim.

Well I know now that its definately a 2001 with some Carbon Fibre parts. Front Fender and small fairing. I'm thinking its really a V11 Sport but made to look like the Rossa Magnello, based on the side covers and those red parts look too new paintwise.

The Clutch is single plate though. Rattles pretty good at idle lol.

This bike will need some work, I factored that in when I got it. Plus hey these bikes are engaging that way anyway. First off will be figuring out if there is just a bad connection or whether i need a new voltage regulator. I have the flashing sometimes battery light. I have looked on here and found some good threads on that subject.

I rode yesterday in a section of Toronto called Little Italy, got all sorts of comments about family members who used to have Moto Guzzi's lol

Ray

The black forks and drive line would certainly peg it as a Rosso Mandello for 2001. So would a single pate clutch.

Someone once had the rationale down for clutch rattle: seems like the twin plate rattles with the clutch engaged (lever out) and the single rattles with it disengaged (lever pulled in). Otherwise, I'm not sure you can actually see that to tell the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Real name is Steve.

Just bought my first Moto Guzzi, a 2006 Breva 1100 and I love the styling. I live on the south coast of England in a town called Bognor Regis.

Got it home yesterday to find it wouldn't start despite starting off the button a couple of times when I viewed it and picked it up. Looks like a gremlin.

The ride home was exciting after my last bike, a 650 Honda TransAlp. One thing I did notice is that the bike wants to turn-in dramatically and invoves quite high pressure on the inner bar to get the line. I'm used to countersteering but is this normal for the breed/model?