Introduction Thread

al_roethlisberger

Hmmm, oil filter still in the sump like an 1100 Sport, but "can be" accessed through a 4 inch cover on the underside of the sump by unscrewing it with a 27mm hex drive. Conveniently, the rear axle nut works for this.

Thanks docc. Typical Italians - most of my other bikes (the V7C, 1100 Sport (?) & the Enfields) use a 24mm axle nut. I did expect to be putting together another set of tools for this bike anyway. I was also anticipating removing the sump at least every second oil change to clean that wire gauze.

If you take the sump off, the filter is right there like every other Guzzi. No special tool required! :oldgit:

...and if the filter's held in place by a hose clamp as many recommend, you'll need to... the trapdoor won't help, check with the PO.

My research online has convinced me that unbolting the sump and cleaning the screen is a waste of time, unless you have a high mileage bike or just like tinkering.

And even tho I had four oil-filter wrenches in my toolbox, I needed to add a fifth to my collection to fit the oddball Guzzi filter size. (adjustable filter wrench would not fit up into the sump.) Still, I recommend that strategy. 

Mal, you've got an enfield twin and you list it down the bottom of the list? Did you forget the drysdale v8 out the back of the shed?

Wtll, this is a Guzzi-centric forum; one should be a little discreet. I am expected to park it sideways when out with the guzzis.

DSCF2015.jpg

Relax, the enfield should feel right at home...anything coming out of Ians factory should be used to twisted twins ( he has a cx fetish)

Hello gents, I am not a V11 owner, but I came here hoping to get some good advice as I seriously consider the V11 as my next bike.

About me, a little bit anyway. I started off on a street trail bike, a Suzuki TS100 and learned how to ride in the dirt. After college, I stopped riding bikes. I have no idea why. I suppose other more interesting things happened. When I hit 50, and the kids were out of the house, I realized there was no reason to keep myself from enjoying the wind in my face again.

With a budget of about $3200, I bought my second bike, a monster compared to that TS100. Wanting a good mix of classic style, reliability, and being able to work on myself (intermediate at best), I bought a 1978 BMW R100S. It's really a "bitza", being all the components/engine off a R100S (with bent frame), on to a good 80/7 frame (same year).

I bought this bike two summers ago and have really enjoyed it. With the money I've put into my bike, plus the money I need to invest to make it a 100% solid performer, I'm considering the V11 may be a better option. I can only justify one bike at this time, and so the airhead may have to go. And that is why I'm here :)

I look forward to some good conversation and thanks for keeping a forum this specialized up and running!

Welcome.

Take one for a ride. Sometimes only half way around the block is enough to tell that it's for you or not. Having just bought one, there seems to be a few around at present (there was last week) and they are good value. Be prepared though, you are likely to get infected with the Guzzi virus.

Mal

Good advice. The one I've seen local is too far to just go for a ride. But if I like, I certainly don't mind being infected with the G virus  :)   Keep in mind I love BMW airheads, but for me, my ideal airhead is a modified cafe bike strictly for sunshine, no rain. I need a bike that I can literally commute, which in the Pacific NW, means rain. I won't do that with my airhead.

Hello gents, I am not a V11 owner, but I came here hoping to get some good advice as I seriously consider the V11 as my next bike.

About me, a little bit anyway. I started off on a street trail bike, a Suzuki TS100 and learned how to ride in the dirt. After college, I stopped riding bikes. I have no idea why. I suppose other more interesting things happened. When I hit 50, and the kids were out of the house, I realized there was no reason to keep myself from enjoying the wind in my face again.

With a budget of about $3200, I bought my second bike, a monster compared to that TS100. Wanting a good mix of classic style, reliability, and being able to work on myself (intermediate at best), I bought a 1978 BMW R100S. It's really a "bitza", being all the components/engine off a R100S (with bent frame), on to a good 80/7 frame (same year).

I bought this bike two summers ago and have really enjoyed it. With the money I've put into my bike, plus the money I need to invest to make it a 100% solid performer, I'm considering the V11 may be a better option. I can only justify one bike at this time, and so the airhead may have to go. And that is why I'm here :)

I look forward to some good conversation and thanks for keeping a forum this specialized up and running!

Keep an eye on this thread by chamberlin.  I see something on there in Seattle in his latest post.

I think you ought to post a thread of your own here in 24/7 V11 subforum. It would be fun to chat up airheads Guzzis, cafés and classics . . .

Not a bad idea. Let me think of something and post later today.

I have actually contacted the local seller on CL.

Not a bad idea. Let me think of something and post later today.

I have actually contacted the local seller on CL.

Heck, I thought you already had some great thoughts! You could just copy and paste your first post into a new thread.  Are V11 Airheads?

Good advice. The one I've seen local is too far to just go for a ride. But if I like, I certainly don't mind being infected with the G virus   :)   Keep in mind I love BMW airheads, but for me, my ideal airhead is a modified cafe bike strictly for sunshine, no rain. I need a bike that I can literally commute, which in the Pacific NW, means rain. I won't do that with my airhead.

Back when I got my first Goose, I was working with a guy that really wanted a Guzzi bad. This was in '82 and at the time I had already gone through several Jap bikes plus a BMW R69S. I wasn't familiar with Guzzi's and was looking at getting another beemer. Well, the work buddy shows up Monday morning with a BMW and damned if it wasn't the bike I was considering. Couldn't be seen on the same bike as this guy and so as I perused the used bike section in the Recycler I happened upon a '70 Ambo. Went out and looked at it, cheap enough for $750, ugly as hell because the original owner had parked it in his carport and when things started oxidizing, he sprayed every painted surface flat black and anything silver flat silver. UGLY UGLY UGLY. But I did take it out for a ride and was hooked, haven't owned any other bike manufacture since. The V11 is the first "modern" Guzzi I've owned, the latest before that was a '78 LeMans. 

And the guy I worked with, saw him several years after we had gone our separate ways and he was on a Convert. A Guzzi gets under your skin and stays there.

. . . The V11 is the first "modern" Guzzi I've owned,  . . .

By "modern Guzzi" you mean the kind you need an internet forum to get the full experience? :grin: