Post a pic of your V11 - No words

orangeokie

7 hours ago, docc said:

Look at the size of that oil cooler! :o

And the drop with short offset triple tree . . . :blink:

358025a61c3fa176d03cc9d52deb89d5.jpg

An interesting addition to your V11 Collection, Tom!!   :mg:

Yes docc, brings a big smile just looking and think about it. Turning angle ain’t much, and what degrees ?, but can’t wait to check out her behavior in the mountains.   Snowing outside right now. 
Cheers Tom.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I hope in all those $40k of receipts he has a transmission brace with all that extra HP.

This one has a bracket fitted  :bier: 

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tomchri said:

This one has a bracket fitted  :bier: 

Cheers Tom.

I recall @luhbo reported seeing an early V11 in Germany with the frame plate from the factory. Maybe it was this V11 !

What is the build date on the headstock?

# are, and oil cooler is Stelvio + bigger pan = 4.3 l
Cheers Tom
e54daa0ae5505c2b7fc31813c5165484.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

"XM" is certainly 1999.

Actual build date (month/year) is engraved into the left side frame headstock plate. Just curious how early this V11 may be . . .

Engraved on the right side ZGUKR0000XM111333.   Right side looks as good as left side.

Cheers Tom.

30 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Engraved on the right side ZGUKR0000XM111333.   Right side looks as good as left side.

Cheers Tom.

Very curious about this V11 as it appears to be very early production. The metal "Build Tag" is riveted to the left side of the headstock. While the serial number is most easily seen, the actual build date (month-year) is dot peen engraved on the front/bottom of this plate. I did not know my Sport's actual build date was there for many, many years.

And also that the Workshop Manual states that 111111 is the first V11 built, meaning that this special V11 is #223 built. :thumbsup:

Fascinating!!  :mg:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Yes docc, brings a big smile just looking and think about it. Turning angle ain’t much, and what degrees ?, but can’t wait to check out her behavior in the mountains.   Snowing outside right now. 
Cheers Tom.

I suspect the Dynotec "special" triple clamps are just 40mm offset same as the std slightly later V11 clamps but reduced from the probable earlier 45mm clamps.

Ciao 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 2:31 AM, Tomchri said:

Cheers Tom.

A short offset is larger trail. So more stability and less handling. I hope they didn't change to much on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, motortouring said:

A short offset is larger trail. So more stability and less handling. I hope they didn't change to much on that.

Only one way to find out  :rasta:  :bier:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, motortouring said:

Maybe a translation thing but I'm not sure about "less", ie reduced "handling" whatever "handling" is defined to be. My 1198 has reduced offset triple clamps down from 36 to 30mm. The std 36mm offset road clamps means the bike doesn't finish off the corner well and has a tendency to run wide exiting corners under power. The increased trail and added weight on the front wheel corrects this by and large. It's noticeable on the track but not the road, as you're not pushing that hard on the road.

There are a lot of compromises made in the set up and dimensions of older road bikes to accommodate for pillions, different weight riders and the highly variable conditions all the bikes sold will be ridden in around the world. Some of the reason modern bikes handle so well is because the manufacturers have gradually narrowed down the compromises which is great for particular riders and environments but not for others. They then drag it back a little by electronically tailored adjustability.

Ciao   

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Maybe a translation thing but I'm not sure about "less", ie reduced "handling" whatever "handling" is defined to be. My 1198 has reduced offset triple clamps down from 36 to 30mm. The std 36mm offset road clamps means the bike doesn't finish off the corner well and has a tendency to run wide exiting corners under power. The increased trail and added weight on the front wheel corrects this by and large. It's noticeable on the track but not the road, as you're not pushing that hard on the road.

There are a lot of compromises made in the set up and dimensions of older road bikes to accommodate for pillions, different weight riders and the highly variable conditions all the bikes sold will be ridden in around the world. Some of the reason modern bikes handle so well is because the manufacturers have gradually narrowed down the compromises which is great for particular riders and environments but not for others. They then drag it back a little by electronically tailored adjustability.

Ciao   

Around 30mm raise of the front would have done the same for geometry, but that is not always possible. Or do you mean that the weight on the front was the essential part of the solution. Interesting point, I did not consider that.

We should make a separate topic of this discussion :-)

I made an EXCEL sheet that calculated the theoretical values for geometry. Can I share that over here?