V11 vs the new V7

polebridge

Just curious if there are any former (or current) V11 Sport owners out there that have switched to the new V7?  If so, why did you make the switch and how do these two compare?  I imagine that the V7 does not have the same power output but being that it is a more modern design I thinking that the gap is probably not as wide as I imagine.  I am guessing they also handle very well.  

I ask because, who knows, someday I may be in the market for a new bike and the V7 is one I would probably check out.  I have test driven a Cal 1400 and that was really nice.  Just a bit on the heavy/big side but a really nice ride.  Never ridden a Griso and the new V9s just don't appeal to me aesthetically (although I have only seen pics).  Kind of wish they would just have put the 900 engine in a V7 frame and kept the styling closer to the original V7 Sport which I think is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made.  

Thanks

The V7 III motor has the improvements of the V9 motor and makes nearly the same horsepower  (52 versus 55).

You would think Moto Guzzi will be giving us (and Piaggio might let us have) something slotted between the small blocks and the big cruiser . . .

The V7 line are fine bikes. They have sufficient power, good maneuverability, and comfort (if you happen to fit the bike). I've ridden some well sorted V7s and they are fun bikes, but don't expect an adrenaline rush riding it.

They don't have the high pulse inducing torque of the V11, however, nor the good looks, nor the glorious sound (IMO the V11 is the best sounding Guzzi). If I had to choose between the two it's no contest, really. YMMV.

• Like 1

I'm not knocking the small blocks.. I have two of em for heavensake.. but they're not in the same league if you like a bike with a little "brio". :grin:

The V7 III motor has the improvements of the V9 motor and makes nearly the same horsepower  (52 versus 55).

You would think Moto Guzzi will be giving us (and Piaggio might let us have) something slotted between the small blocks and the big cruiser . . .

I read an interview on WG with one of the Piaggio mutkey mucks that said a new bike was in the works.  We might get a glimpse at EICMA and that the production models would be shown at the year following.  So perhaps 2019?

I read an interview on WG with one of the Piaggio mutkey mucks that said a new bike was in the works.  We might get a glimpse at EICMA and that the production models would be shown at the year following.  So perhaps 2019?

They need another cruiser to fill the slot between the Roamer and the 1400.  :helmet:

I switched the other way. I had a 2014 V7 Stone. All my riding is above 4000 ft elevation, up to around 9000. The V7 just didn't seem to have any power to speak of, not enough to be fun pulling out of corners. It was adequate near sea level. There didn't seem to be anything to do to get more power out of it. Handling was good, brakes decent, suspension sucked(harsh). 

I later found my Rosso Corsa. It still loses a lot of power up high, but that just means I have to rev it higher and the fun comes back. It's a lot heavier but I'm working on that. I like that the V11 has so much potential and upgrades possible. It's definitely a keeper for me.

Hey Cory - A V11 - and living in the Eastern Sierra. What a playground for motorcycles - It's a treat for me when I can a V11 into the Sierras. Interesting combo of bikes (similar to me). I find that my K75 does quite well at altitude. And I've been thinking about another ADV bike - how do you like the BMW Sertao?

I love the Sertao. It's comfortable and smooth enough to ride all day, other than the seat, which will be addressed in time. Offroad, it has really surprised me with it's capabilities. I always seem to get into way more difficult terrain than I mean to and the bike will get through steep, rough, rocky desert amazingly well. The 4 or so gallon tank is small but I always get 60-65 mpg so the range is pretty good.

I had an 1150 GS for 115k miles and now I think I should have had a 650 the whole time. Other than the power difference this bike will do everything the big bike would do. I don't miss the power and I have always liked big singles.

I do love my K bike too. I'm collecting parts to convert it to paralever right now.

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic.

I kind of wish they would produce a V7 style bike but with a V11 motor.  Not sure why they stopped a 900cc.

Because there is a limit to how far you can bore and stroke the engine and crankcase capacity means that if you increase the swept volume much further the pressure differentials in the case would become untenable.

The V7 and V9 frames and cycle parts are almost identical apart from the swingarm and final drive. The current V9 motor with two valves is obviously a stopgap, you can see it from the head and rocker castings, whether they plan to do anything that might actually be interesting I don't know, but I'm not holding my breath.

Pete

A well sorted v11 is comparable to a Griso... 

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I test rode the Griso this weekend. And a V7. The V7 shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence with a V11.

The Griso feels way bigger and heavier than the V11... with good reason. It is!

The V7 was ok, but it felt like it had about half the power of the V11... with good reason. It does!

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20038&p=223272

• Like 1

The Griso and V11 Sport are close to the same weight, depending on the year and model, within a dozen lbs.. Seat height is the same. Griso wheelbase is 3" longer with the rake kicked out 1-2 deg. Not sure about the height of the motor in the frame. Possibly that's what makes it feel bigger. I haven't ridden one.