Okay, I Done Did It ...

Nihontochicken

... and I hope I'll experience Italian ecstasy and not fury.  I bought the 2004 V11 Sport Naked in Half Moon Bay, just towed it home today.  I'm pushing the big seven-oh this year, so this scooter will likely be my last street machine (I started in 1970 with a Bridgestone 175 Street Scrambler, well, it had high pipes!).  This Guzzi is one of the plainer V11 versions, but it comes from a very sexy family.  :)

rtCu1oB.jpg

It looks maybe too naked, would like to perhaps add a fly screen.  And shouldn't all V11 rocker covers be anodized in flaming Italian red?  One bug identified by the previous owner, when the bike is in neutral and the green neutral light is on, sometimes the starter circuitry thinks the bike is in gear and won't start, requiring the operator to shift into gear and back into neutral to convince the starter lockout that all is well.  Is there and easy fix for this?  Or are Italian hotties always hard to get started?   ;)   TIA, wish me luck!

• Like 4

Nice bike! Welcome to the clan...some amount of "character" is to be expected from any sexy Italian so ignore the shifter nonsense for now, get some wind in the chest motoring done and listen to the irresistible sound of the Guzzi big twin as it revs :-).

We're all here for a short time. I hope I'm trailering home another Guzzi at 70 ! Hats off to you sir...

Vt4L

Congratulations youngster.. enjoy.  :)  Since the neutral light is on, maybe it's the clutch switch?  :oldgit:

Makes sense.  Had mine disconnected, I really didn't know bikes had clutch switches until encountering my issues.  I am not sure why they put clutch switches on bikes in the first place.  Neutral and side stand lockout make sense but clutch switch?   And yeah. my side stand switch was disconnected on my EV.

. . . Is there and easy fix for this?  Or are Italian hotties always hard to get started?   ;)   TIA, wish me luck!

Haha! Well, yeah, probably easy enough. :luigi:

Unless you go down the rabbit hole! :o:huh::grin:

Best of luck and good wishes, indeed!   :thumbsup:     :bier:  

Thanks for the welcome, guys.  Unfortunately the previous owner misplaced the owner's manual, so I spent the evening downloading various drawings and instructions for basic care and operation.  I notice that the engine oil level is to be measured with the stick screwed in, I would suppose with the bike level.  That looks to be a good trick with no center stand and the stick on the same side as the side stand.  And remove the tank (not all that simple) to service the air filter???  I guess Italian hotties can indeed be difficult to maintain.  Oh, yeah, lose the dweeb reflectors on the fork legs, check.  ;)

That side reflector... on the front wheel... take that off and store it away.

LOL! I wondered what those flimsy little brackets on my forks were for.

Thanks for the welcome, guys.  Unfortunately the previous owner misplaced the owner's manual, so I spent the evening downloading various drawings and instructions for basic care and operation.  I notice that the engine oil level is to be measured with the stick screwed in, I would suppose with the bike level.  That looks to be a good trick with no center stand and the stick on the same side as the side stand.  And remove the tank (not all that simple) to service the air filter???  I guess Italian hotties can indeed be difficult to maintain.  Oh, yeah, lose the dweeb reflectors on the fork legs, check.  ;)

Haha . . .  "Italian hottie seeking owner involvement."   You'll learn to love it! :wub:

Leveling the bike to check the oil is not necessary. The stick makes it to the middle of the sump either way.

While your tank is off, there are a few things worth fussing about with. Not that you have to do every one of them every time, but she'll love you back for it!  :sun:

Tank Off Maintenance Checklist:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18195

I don’t see how they could have positioned the required sized air filter any other place. I have a Suzuki and have had two BMWs that require a lot more than just removing the tank. Worst thing about tank removal is the fuel line. And be prepared for tank “stretch” by watching what happens when the rear bolt comes out.

Wow, these Italians sure have a lot of, well, um, "personality".  But then, if I wanted gender neutral reliability, I would have bought a Suzuki Bandit 1200.  BTW, how did Guzzi get a plastic tank past the DOT?  Even my DR650 (a "dual sport" hefty pig street bike that looks a lot like a dirt bike) has a metal tank.  As far as the engine oil dipstick, interesting that it hits the middle of the pan and should be relatively lean  position insensitive.  I'd like to change the oil soon.  At 2k miles, can I go to a full synthetic?  Either way, what is recommended?  One of my downloads indicates 5w40.  I'm not into $20 a quart magic, but might go half that for decent stuff that is generally available.  Thanks again!

Alrighty now.. an oil thread.  :grin:  

Yes, you can go to a full synthetic. Use an SG rated oil or be prepared to add ZDDP to it. Mobil 1 motor sickle oil is good, and readily available. The latest spec from the mothership calls for 10-60 syn. I use that at around 10-12 bux a quart. I'm sure 15-50 or 20-50 is fine.

I recently scored a ton of Silkolene 10-60 cheap. On the website, it said SG. On the bottle it says 4T (good) SM SN Jaso MA2.  :bbblll:  Ordered some ZDDP additive to go with it. Still cheap.