What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

As a Guzzista, I emulate the marque by liking quirky music. :D

My most recent affectation for Moto Grappa listening is the Trompes de Chasse, e.g. this ... 

I am listening to that now while R&R'ing the rear wheel of the V85.  The OEM Dunlop Meridian has 4.5K on it and probably enough tread for the run to the SSR ... he says hopefully.

i-q9gGPRx-L.jpg

But, it's squared off, and that's no fun, and I already have the MR6 here.  So, naturally, the "why not" rule kicks in.

The front tire is, as expected, in better shape, but its replacement is inbound, thus another application of the WNR.

Pulling the rear wheel was the easiest of any of my present and former Guzzis.  Fell right off like well done rib meat off the bone.  :food:

Lots of space, and the cush rubbers stay in place.  I didn't even need to drop the lift's cutout. 

i-bK8Xb3x-L.jpg

OK, back to listening, now this ...  :P

Bill

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Have a listen to this woman. I heard her a couple of months ago. Fairly young, and quite brilliant.

Unfortunately the recordings here are a bit shitty.

https://www.bryndisgudjonsdottir.com/media

From all of that, I really like this one the best. Mostly because I can't fathom WTF is going on.

At all . . . :blink:

• Haha 2

I thought I had posted about Carla Maffioletti before, but a search found nothing here.

Knowing that my horn vids seem to have resonated with few, I'll try again, given the mention of some wonderful women singers.

For all sorts of reasons not limited -- as Kathi sweetly thinks ;) -- to the lady's considerable vocal talents, Ms. Maffioletti is a favorite of mine.

Even if you can't stand this sort of thing, go to 2:25 and get a feel (so to speak, of course! :whistle:) for her vocal range.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The lady sings very well indeed.

However, let's do the piece properly, shall we? Ludwig got it exactly right the first time round, and it doesn't need anyone buggerising around with it making "easily digestible" arrangements or any of that sort of rubbish.

Here, the link is set at the start of the relevant last movement. Take the time to listen to all of it (about 25 minutes). It builds up so well, it is really a shame just to jump to the "hit" and leave out the rest.

And this is the reason why I chose that recording... B)

large.Odeonsplatz_FOH.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, audiomick said:

The lady sings very well indeed.

However, let's do the piece properly, shall we? Ludwig got it exactly right the first time round, and it doesn't need anyone buggerising around with it making "easily digestible" arrangements or any of that sort of rubbish.

Here, the link is set at the start of the relevant last movement. Take the time to listen to all of it (about 25 minutes). It builds up so well, it is really a shame just to jump to the "hit" and leave out the rest.

And this is the reason why I chose that recording... B)

large.Odeonsplatz_FOH.jpg

Yes, quite fine.

It may be, however, that you read more into my post than I intended.

I was not extolling the special virtues of that rendition of Ode to Joy, but remarking on the vocal range  — and other pleasing attributes — of Carla Maffioletti.

That said, as my roots are those of Swabian peasants and Kentucky dirt farmers, perhaps I might be forgiven for liking occasional schmaltz, oompah, and fiddling. And, while I (usually) know better myself, I even consort often with commoners who happily applaud when every movement ends.

Many “serious music" cognoscenti sneer at Andre Rieu, but it seems to me that he has brought great joy to so many people around this planet.

Is he guilty of what you say is "buggerising around with it making 'easily digestible' arrangements or any of that sort of rubbish[?]”  I suppose. 

Actually, I would not even know of him but for spending so many nights at my mother’s bedside over the five years in a nursing home in Atlanta before she passed in 2018. https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/atlanta/name/carmen-hagan-obituary?id=13131309

In her late 90’s, Mom was so addled by dementia that every evening with her seemed like the movie Groundhog Day — I have to be careful here about not digressing into daydreams about Andie MacDowell! ;) — as Mom would ask the same question every few minutes.

But, in the course of finding Youtube videos to entertain her,  I ran across Andre Rieu and that Ode to Joy vid in particular.   Mom NEVER tired of asking me to play it.  Sometimes, Kathi and I would listen to that four or five times an evening!  

On a related note, do you have any idea how many vids there are of babies laughing or puppies playing?  Thousands.  Mom loved them!  I think nursing homes should pipe those sounds in to sooth the residents.

So, I will never forget and always be grateful to Andre Rieu for the pleasure he and his orchestra gave to my mom on so many (and I mean MANY) nights.

Finally, Mom was born in 1920 in Wurmlingen, 103 years and some 600 km from where I see you live in Leipzig.  You traveled almost that far to hear the BRSO in Munich.  Near death, Mom seemed to revert, as so many do, to her childhood.  She slipped away into sleep every night when we played this: 

I just teared up listening to it again; I know every word.  Schmaltz.  

Tomorrow, I’ll be back on y/t, but in the Moto Grappa looking for the best video on static balancing the V85’s rear wheel with its new MR6.  Life goes on.

Best,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1