What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

11 hours ago, p6x said:

I admire his [Steve Vai] command on the instrument, but I never really liked his music.

Yes, I feel pretty much the same.

I believe Steve Vai played on some Frank Zappa albums, and was listed in the credits as "stunt guitar". That comes pretty close... B)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Yes, I feel pretty much the same.

I believe Steve Vai played on some Frank Zappa albums, and was listed in the credits as "stunt guitar". That comes pretty close... B)

He did some more, say, "palatable" music, such as "For the love of God", but his guitar style is really technical and grammatical, perfect and very square.

If you simply compare Steve's music with Eric Johnson's "Cliff of Dover" with long intro, I mean, how can you not appreciate the sound prowess.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, motortouring said:

On a stratocaster. I thought he was more Les Paul guy.

Eric Johnson was always pretty much a Fender Strat guy. I specify Fender because almost every guitar brand makes a guitar with a Strat body. Eric Johnson remained faithful to Fender in that domain.

That does not mean he did not play Gibson. You can see him on a 335 for a first G3 show. Lately, he also used an SG.

But his main known guitar was a Fender Stratocaster 1954, that he named Virginia. He sold it after a neck incident and repair.

He was always very finicky about his tone and sound in his younger days.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, motortouring said:

Oh, I was talking about Mark Knopfler in the Dire Straights clip.

I had him in my mind as a Strat player. His sound is mostly "typical Strat", bearing in mind that he uses his fingers rather than a pick. Having said that, the intro to "Money for nothing" does sound more like something with a glued-in neck, and the video shows him playing a Les Paul.

Looking at the pictures here, it seems that he does swap around a bit, but more Strat than anything else, if the selection of pictures is any indication. :huh2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler

• Like 2
On 3/29/2024 at 5:05 PM, motortouring said:

Oh, I was talking about Mark Knopfler in the Dire Straights clip.

Only, this is not a Fender one. It is most likely a Pensa Suhr, now only Suhr. He also has a humbucker in the bridge, so his Strat is actually a SuperStrat....

I am guitar fanatic too.... lol....

• Haha 1
On 3/29/2024 at 5:16 PM, motortouring said:

For some reason I always feel a lot of sympathy for Rory Gallagher. 

With a lot of good reasons! he was a virtuoso in his own right. Another guitar player who left too early!!:(

@audiomick Mark Knopfler like many others changed brands for profit.

Many examples, such as EVH who endorsed so many different manufacturers, until he got his own EVH brand, made by Fender.

@audiomick

This is for you; to be listened at loud volume on a decent HiFi system.

This was recorded in Berlin (Germany), 2015. Lucienne Renaudin is 16 years old here.

This is the very well known (among Trumpet players) Hummel Concerto for Trumpet. For those who do not have a particular affinity with classical music and trumpet in particular, skip to the third movement, the Rondo. The video starts at the second movement, the Andante.

This is a bit personal and nostalgic to me, since I started learning trumpet at her age, and kept at it for seven years. Only, I never liked the instrument. I wanted to play guitar.

Listening to her grandiose and perfect execution makes me want to go back to those days....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2