What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Today, I took the Scura on a proper loop (took the long way to a family barbecue in Orange County) with over 24,000 feet of elevation changes* - lots of ups and downs from sea-level to over 8,000 feet on the way to Big Bear.  There is nothing like cranking up a loooong grade with the V11 howling. Tires are almost done, so now I'm thinking about another set of Angels or if I want to try the Michelin PR4s.

*according to my trusty GPS track.

have you swapped the clutch yet?

I watched as a large fan in my shop's ceiling, fell on both my Guzzi's. It put a deep gouge on my seat cowl on one bike, and a nice dent in my new Ti muffler on the other. I was close enough to see it come loose and I managed an attempt at swatting it away. Like when you knock over your beer and you move like lightning to catch it.... and to everyone's amazement, you do, but the beer still goes everywhere.

"Nothing's really helping I've been thinking

'bout drinking again"  - Avett Brothers

Kool. Never have seen a guy play cello standing up like that.  :)

Bummer indeed. I suppose you can only console yourself that the fan didn't fall on the front and damage the tanks or fairings.  Or... you can think about worse things, such as the poor guy whose garage burned down with the bike in it.  But the new, and unobtainable Ti cans...  :angry2:.  I recall seeing a thread where someone rolled a dent out of the Ti cans (after taking the Ti skin off, I think they used a big pipe from the inside.)

Still rolling the proverbial dice with the OEM clutch in the Scura - but yesterday was probably the last (or penultimate) roll. I'm going to do a lot of other stuff while I change the clutch... paint engine, check/improve transmission pre-selector, fork rebuild, all fluids, tires, etc. Gonna get her set up for a long spell of riding with no additional service needed.

Maybe today I will conquer the LeMans' transmission. I've been commuting on it for the last few weeks and found that I can shift it well with great attention (and if I lapse then I miss a downshift). Yesterday's 300 miles of effortless shifting on the Scura provided the motivation to give requisite attention to the LeMans.

I know Docc likes the elevation graphics from my GPS software... so here's yesterday. I didn't take any photos, but I rode right by the overlooks on Highways 243 and 330 where I've seen some other photos recently (at least from JB and Rox).

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 7.02.05 AM.jpg

I hit an invisible rock at the start of the climb that I highlighted. It provided me an unpleasant direction change and subsequent correction-wobble, but the steering damper did it's job and we straightened right up.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yesterday morning at the Ohio rally, we'd had a killer dew/fog during the night. All the luggage I had was strapped on the the seat and Guzzi rack. Looked liked the Beverly Hillbillies. Got ready to go, punched the button and racheta racheta racheta. Hmmm. One more time. racheta racheta racheta. You know the feeling when you're hundreds of miles from home and it won't start..  :homer:  Took off my helmet, pulled the earplugs, and the fuel pump isn't running. Untied all the luggage, pulled the seat and went for the fuel pump fuse. Looked fine, so I stuck it back in and wiggled it around.  :grin: Turned the key, and the fuel pump was working. Packed everything back on and blasted off.

So.

This morning, I pulled the relays and fuses and shot them with some Caig DeOxit. Magical stuff. I recommend it.  :oldgit:

• Like 2

Scud, what a fantastic loop.

too right about what 'coulda happened'. I am greatful it was not worse. MartyNZ sent me the link to that repair for the Ti can. It looks fairly easy. I haven't done the clutch yet either. Winter comes, as Jon Snow says.

I recall seeing a thread where someone rolled a dent out of the Ti cans (after taking the Ti skin off, I think they used a big pipe from the inside.)

A kid that I've mentored a little did that on some Ti cans that were really beat up, and he'd gotten cheap. (Guzzi content) They look fine.

"Marked"  100,000 miles on the Sport following a couple good friends on a sweet little curvy road on the way to get another Guzzi ready for next weekend's South'n Spine Raid. Success on both counts!

Beautiful photo, Gino! And fabulous to be riding with Fiona! :thumbsup:

Congrats Docc, impressive, and thanks

• Like 1

I finally installed my Roper plate. The actual installation of the plate was simple. Dealing with the sidestand took the lion's share of time for me--my dremel went MIA so I had to use hand tools to enlarge the boss.

No discernible leaks after a quick ride. I don't have a pressure gauge so there's no good way to tell if I screwed something up, but the oil pressure light does go out when the bike is running, and my test ride did not explode the engine. :)

CP180Wg.jpg

• Like 2

Spoke too soon, there appears to be a minor weep from the front oil lines that connect to the upper sump. I did these fittings down pretty tight, yet oil slowly seeps during a ride. How am I supposed to seal these? 

Edit: Maybe it's oil that was caught in the threads/before the taper that is working its way out?

Did the oil line seat fully before you tightened the nut? I suppose it's possible that the little O-rings are damaged, but I think they're pretty tough.

LeMans got an O-ring on the cam position sensor... and a bath.  But the Scura got naked.

I removed the flyscreen because she needs the mounting hardware powdercoated. Paint was coming off the little support arms... and that just won't do.

She also got a new pair of Napoleon mirrors. The prior pair had some lane-splitting scars (and an oops on the RH). The scarred mirrors found a new home on the K75s, which got to shed the nasty lollipop mirrors.

And happy news... it appears that my speedometer works. I assumed that it broke earlier this summer and I just assumed it was the speedo - but it was the cable. When I turn the input by hand I can see the needle jump. So I guess I won't be buying Speedhuts just yet (I nearly did). 

IMG_5314.jpg

• Like 1