V11 Sport Rivals

swooshdave

It does seem to "look" more like a sport touring setup although the front end is Lemans-ish with the fairing/mirror setup and Norge-ish with all the plastic fairing bits, but I wonder how it will feel w/o the bags on it.  Nice you had a good reason to take it for a ride!!  :)  Pie run!!

I frequently ride the Norge on local rides w/o the bags and it does have a notably different "feeling" of lightness (probably because my bags are usually full of long distance gear etc.).  This is a nice looking Ducati indeed...adding some variety to the fleet here.

Curious to see how it grows on you over time, or will it feel too tame by comparison to the more visceral Guzzi feeling you are used to?

A few months ago I saw the new Triumph Thruxton out on a demo day (w/o rides unfortunately...only available for looking at), I'm curious to take it for a spin and see what it feels like compared to the Scura.

The Duck is a different feeling... not necessarily more or less feeling. Tame by comparison? My BMW K75s is.

The Duck is a box of rocks at idle. I think that's cool. Crunchy, grabby clutch from a standing start, also cool. Hates going less than 15MPH, so what? Rear brake almost worthless, who cares? 

I think it was Chuck who said that for him, buying a motorcycle is all about the motor. The 3-valve 992cc engine is unique to the ST3 - no other Ducati has it. I've ridden only a few Ducatis, but from my limited sample, this "orphaned 3 valver" is my favorite. Rated 102hp @ 8750RPMs... haven't tapped that yet. 63 lb-ft torque at 7250.. that's about where I've been hanging out.  For "Rivalry" purposes:  The V11 makes 11 less HP at 7800, but 6 lb-ft more torque at 6000). Pretty comparable numbers, but I think the Ducati is geared taller and it seems to rev quicker.

I don't know if I'll ever ride without the bags. They weigh next to nothing and they're quite narrow. I split lanes with ease.

Metal gas tank - just picked up a little magnetic tank bag. How nice is that?

Anybody want a commuter K-bike?

Sounds like the Duc will be an interesting beast...numbers are only a part of the experience, the rest sounds rather like unconstrained fury (in a good way).  

K-bike looks nice and well maintained, I had a blue K1100LT many years ago...an interesting experience, although I'd have to say the Guzzis are more enjoyable in most aspects.

The Duck is a different feeling... not necessarily more or less feeling. Tame by comparison? My BMW K75s is.

The Duck is a box of rocks at idle. I think that's cool. Crunchy, grabby clutch from a standing start, also cool. Hates going less than 15MPH, so what? Rear brake almost worthless, who cares? 

I think it was Chuck who said that for him, buying a motorcycle is all about the motor. The 3-valve 992cc engine is unique to the ST3 - no other Ducati has it. I've ridden only a few Ducatis, but from my limited sample, this "orphaned 3 valver" is my favorite. Rated 102hp @ 8750RPMs... haven't tapped that yet. 63 lb-ft torque at 7250.. that's about where I've been hanging out.  For "Rivalry" purposes:  The V11 makes 11 less HP at 7800, but 6 lb-ft more torque at 6000). Pretty comparable numbers, but I think the Ducati is geared taller and it seems to rev quicker.

I don't know if I'll ever ride without the bags. They weigh next to nothing and they're quite narrow. I split lanes with ease.

Metal gas tank - just picked up a little magnetic tank bag. How nice is that?

Anybody want a commuter K-bike?

I love the sounds Ducati makes. Idle and flying. Arrows are my favorite sounding cans so far... probly a mood I was in. :rasta:

"all about the motor" ....I'll have to think like that regarding my V Strom. I can forget about it's strange looks, and be quite happy. It's motor is a Duc clone, of sorts.

You can fix some of the slow speed issues with a gearing change.  It will not solve all.  It truly hates slow speed.

They are a box of rocks ;)  Especially if you run an open clutch.  There is a "quiet" clutch mod that does work pretty well.  Funny the V11 and ST both share a dry clutch and a similar rattle.

Neutral is a royal pain in the ass on them as well.  Clutch pull is heavy, but an Oberon clutch slave fixes that easy.

The clutch is also prone to slipping in hot weather.  Especially slow speed stop and go traffic.  They simply HATE it.  

Hit the twisties though and it drops lovely into the corners and almost everything is forgiven.  Especially with a nice set of cans on it.

The Ducati Performance ones are way too loud.  FYI.  :)  

Watch the secondary connector at the front of the bike under the fairing.  They are prone to corroding the wires on one side of the connector.  Pull back the black sheath and check them.  It will save you.  

I will think of more I am sure. lol.  

Thanks brubache - I've asked for (and received) some good advice over at ducati.ms.  

I think the ST3 might have slightly better low-speed manners than the ST2. I rode an ST2 a long time ago, so it's hard to make a fair comparison. But I remember it being miserable, while the ST3 is merely unpleasant. I understand that changing the gearing also makes it a wheelie monster and increases RPMs (and assumably reduces fuel efficiency) at cruising speeds - so I'm gonna leave it.

Like the V11, you put up with some BS to enjoy the rest. Is that the definition of character?

• Like 2

Like the V11, you put up with some BS to enjoy the rest. Is that the definition of character?

Yeah. Give me a machine that is alive. I actually have to *know* how to make it work. It seems to appreciate it, and I have fun doing it. What's not to like about that? :)

The Kid's very early 1100 Spot is very much that way. Of course, he gets it. His shiny modern Grease O sits. :rasta:

I'm shocked

No ones mentioned a 2 valve Griso

Sent from my shoe phone!

I have a 2 valve Griso along with the wifes V11. I really don't think it is much of a rival to a V11, if at all. Perhaps a rival in the greater concept of being a motorcycle. But I can't see being in a situation where I was trying to chose one or the other. They are very different motorcycles. Both are fun, but they arrive at this fun from opposite directions. The V11 is a very sharp edged bike that is surprisingly comfortable and the Griso is a very comfortable motorcycle that is surprisingly good in the twisties. 

The Griso is more like the old Centauro, without the cool motor (I wish mine had the motor they used on the Griso prototype).

They are very different motorcycles. Both are fun, but they arrive at this fun from opposite directions. The V11 is a very sharp edged bike that is surprisingly comfortable and the Griso is a very comfortable motorcycle that is surprisingly good in the twisties. 

I like that. I have both & still have trouble deciding which I like better & why. The one I'm on at the time is the one that's normally my favorite. :grin: 

Funny...the box of rocks description is commonly used as well to describe the sound of the cold Porsche upon start up before it smoothes out at idle after about 30 seconds of warm up.

How is the riding position on the Duc vs. the V11...more or less inclined/pressure on the wrists?

They are very different motorcycles. Both are fun, but they arrive at this fun from opposite directions. The V11 is a very sharp edged bike that is surprisingly comfortable and the Griso is a very comfortable motorcycle that is surprisingly good in the twisties. 

I like that. I have both & still have trouble deciding which I like better & why. The one I'm on at the time is the one that's normally my favorite. :grin: 

I very much prefer my wife's V11 over my Griso. If we had to sell one or the other the Griso would go first out of all our Guzzi's. I think that is the only way to really know which one I like better, which one would I sell first (or last). But I do enjoy riding the Griso. And on longer trips the Griso is, by my standards, a couch. So it certainly has its strong points. But for me it is, strange as this may sounds, too refined. It lacks the hot rod tractor feel of my Daytona or her V11, and it does not have the coolness of the Lario. But, to be fair, every time I ride the Griso I do smile.....

• Like 2