New member, New 2000 V11 Sport "greenie"

vtwins4life

RAM effects can give positive effects at speeds over 250 km/h. 200hp rockets like Ducs or Kawas can make additional 4 or 5hp at such speeds, 200hp they have anyway.

The advantage of a big enough airbox is that it provides calm and maybe slightly pressurised air to the engine.

The airflow behind cylinders and rider's knees, near the gap to the rotating rear wheel, under cross wind effects etc. is totally different to the above mentioned calm and maybe slightly pressurised air, consistently delivered to both cylinders.

Oh, and a nice welcome to another Green keeper around here. Be nice to it :)

I like the idea of consistent delivery.  That makes sense to me.

My bike runs a PC3 and performs very well throughout the range. Stucci Xover, MG Ti cans, and BMC intake.  (stock airbox with top/snorkels removed)

I'm not "swearing by it" .. I'm jus sayin

Mine is similar:  Xover, slip-ons, K&N filter and tear drop holes in the airbox.  Brad S (Chuck's son) set it up with a PC.  Runs really good so far as power delivery.  Starts easily and pulls good.  No hiccups.  WIsh I could sort out my EV like that.

BTW- the Sport without the airbox looks boss. Love the air frame-spine frame look.  If it runs right with the PC and no airbox, I wouldn't mess with it.  

I think the OP has plenty to do with the clutch and transmission bracket.  

I think the OP has plenty to do with the clutch and transmission bracket.  

...if we didn't scare him off with all this airbox/pod debate. FWIW, my LeMans had what seemed like "dangerously" undersized pods when I got it, but it ran well. I have since removed them and installed the stock airbox with K&N filter and no snorkels - and it still runs well. I like a little induction noise and I don't really care if it adds or removes 2 or 3 peak HP.

More pics of the new greenie - show off those red wheels. Are they paint or powder-coat? Are they a good color-match to the frame? I would like to find a perfect match powdercoat red for a few bits.

The hot setup on the Centauro back in the day included K&Ns. Yes, you lost a little at the top, but gained mid range. At least, that was my experience.. and it was with a bunch of other mods done at the same time.

Scare me off...LOL...not likely. 

Thanks again very much for all the expert advice (and for not starting a pro/con K&N torches and pitchforks debate...been there...). 

The season is about over here so the cover goes on soon and this all goes to bed until mid March. At that time it'll get a new clutch and maybe (if funds allow) some better time spent tuning the PC. Maybe even some new mufflers but we'll see how it goes. 

VT4L

No no no.. Winter is the time to get it ready for next season, not put it away. Fix the little niggles. Fix the big niggles. Do a little lovin on it.. :mg: That's why the Goddess *made* Winter. 

Winter...it's the season to ride!  Much nicer riding in winter down here on the Gulf Coast than the beastly 98% humidity / 100F heat of summer time.  Time to rack up the miles...!

Have yet to see a Greenie down here in Houston or another Scura...rare as hen's teeth around here...seen 1 LeMans!

While the Scura is waiting for the O-rings and new fuel filter to arrive, I had to take the Norge out for a spin yesterday on a picture perfect day...Scura definitely feeling neglected! 

I must be turning into a northerner in my dotage.  :oldgit:  I used to love it when it was hot, but now.. 90 degrees and above I'm looking for the "conditioned air.."  :)

However.. 30s and raining like we've had the last few days can  :moon:

• Like 1

Extend the intakes by the equivalent of the original intake rubbers you will find it improved mid range power over just the bare K&Ns

Sent from my shoe phone!

I forgot: ever seen a modern race bike without an air box? MGS01 without air box?

On a modern engine the primary role of the airbox is for resonant tuning, so the airbox works in concert with the engine and exhaust system as a whole. Its similar to tuned length exhaust but on the intake side. The volume of the airbox and its associated resonance has a significant benificial effect on the airflow into the engine. Its also used in conjunction with variable length untake trumpets and the shape of the lip on the intake trumpets. Its quite a scientific process these days, hence nobody removes airboxes anymore as it will lose you a lot of power. The ram effect has a negligeable benifit especially on a road bike and the ram ducts bigger contribution is in feeding cooler more laminar air into the airbox more than any small static pressure increase.

On the V11 Guzzi though the airbox is there to hold the air filter and for noise emission reasons, its design pre dates resonant intake tuning on production bikes. Still dont see the point of removing it though.    

Ciao

• Like 2