Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 10:32 AM, Chuck said:

I still have a few Extenders from that absolutely last run. :) Scud sent me a few springs that I could use as "party favors" if someone needs one.

Hi Chuck  I just bought a 2000 Sport w 12,000mi and sure could use an under the seat insurance spring before I go too far afield this spring. I wasn't able to get Scuds attention.  I been down this road with my 02 LeMans. So..if ya still got some party favors around.........I'd appreciate it. 

Thanx....Vic in RI

Just checked, and yeah I do. Do you want an extender too? Postage is the same. At any rate, PM me your snail mail address, and tell me what you want. Supplies are *very* limited.. :)

Hey chuck....I didn't realize Scud did get my message and I ordered a spring from him :homer: ..the extended linkage I'm not sure except this thing has no feel for 1st gear like no clunk'  "Oh yea..that's 1st" ..it just bottoms out. Would it cure that? I've litterly put a 20mi test ride on it. Seems to shift fine other than that. I wanna get out there and get as much done as possible while we got some 40⁰ Feb. here in New England. PO 6'3 setup got me all goofy footing. It has a very ping pork chop I gotta deal with too.:angry:what the hell is THAT ??!! :angry:FUUGLY! I was going to walk on the deal because i thought it was an after market-junkyard pork chop:P but I couldn't think of how you couldn't think of a crash so bad it'd damage it. So i did a Ggl search on v11 pink pork chop....and it brought me HERE !!:P So I tell the seller...ya..I guess it's a "thing.. here's a guy from 2009 ..posting on this V11 site about a pink pork chop....It was HIM !:homer:

4 minutes ago, OuijiVeck said:

Hey chuck....I didn't realize Scud did get my message and I ordered a spring from him :homer: ..the extended linkage I'm not sure except this thing has no feel for 1st gear like no clunk'  "Oh yea..that's 1st" ..it just bottoms out. Would it cure that? I've litterly put a 20mi test ride on it. Seems to shift fine other than that. I wanna get out there and get as much done as possible while we got some 40⁰ Feb. here in New England. PO 6'3 setup got me all goofy footing. It has a very ping pork chop I gotta deal with too.:angry:what the hell is THAT ??!! :angry:FUUGLY! I was going to walk on the deal because i thought it was an after market-junkyard pork chop:P but I couldn't think of how you couldn't think of a crash so bad it'd damage it. So i did a Ggl search on v11 pink pork chop....and it brought me HERE !!:P So I tell the seller...ya..I guess it's a "thing.. here's a guy from 2009 ..posting on this V11 site about a pink pork chop....It was HIM !:homer:

Likely an early production, then. Does it have finned steel exhaust header flanges?

What is the build date (month/year) etched on the left side headstock tag?

The first time you go from 1st to 2nd you will not regret what you have done. Mine is homemade and my linkage just clears the frame . It is difficult to find N but all the other gears are just a click away. I installed a new linkage rod w/one rod end that has l.h. threads . I can set the shift lever to any place I want w/just a couple of turns and I am happy. 

• Like 2

I'm fresh off a Versys 650 and didn't notice anything.... except 1st being vague. ..  that and "WHOA !!! Torque! " especially before getting the clutch lever right. 20 yrs on Guzzis...73 ( tomorrow) and more concerned with pink porkchop and trying to get the bars right. ... hate to go thru putting the clipons on but that's probly whatll take for me to get it right. We'll  see... ....I might cut an inch off the existing bars. They're like Super Bike Bars with California type clamps. 1" to 3/4" deal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OuijiVeck said:

extended linkage I'm not sure except this thing has no feel for 1st gear

Pretty common on worn linkage is the shift 'foot' lever striking the pork chop on the down stroke. Look for chipped paint and be sure it does not touch. Clean and lube all of it. Look for any wobbly bits. The extender will improve shifting even more, but not if it has other problems.

• Like 1

OMG... of course... hadn't got my face down there to give it an eyeball. Just got it yesterday and getting over "it's unrideble"  feeling due to weird bar, levers, mirror positions AND just getting off the Versys . I'm sure it's bottoming out on porkchop or something else. A lot going thru my pumpkin head like "Oh yea...I gotta get a grease gun set up that I can get at that forward shft zerk"  I'm inpatient as hell ... to get this thing right.....yet springs a long time away !!😝

9 hours ago, gstallons said:

The first time you go from 1st to 2nd you will not regret what you have done. Mine is homemade and my linkage just clears the frame . It is difficult to find N but all the other gears are just a click away. I installed a new linkage rod w/one rod end that has l.h. threads . I can set the shift lever to any place I want w/just a couple of turns and I am happy. 

Ain't it ever-so-Guzzi to install both heims on the shift linkage with the same threads? Adjust it all day and the lever moves not one bit. Or is it just my example? 

No . it's factory perplex ! All you do is move the rod from one end to the other and no change, I got my stuff from Midwest Products and corrected it .