captain obvious observes things

Cold Desert Rat

The 20mm diameter by 20mm long rubber isolation mounts on the coils separated and the coils were bouncing around a lot.

I assume everyone has already discussed this at some point. Replacements are on ebay, anazon, ec.

coil mounts.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cold Desert Rat said:

The 20mm diameter by 20mm long rubber isolation mounts on the coils separated and the coils were bouncing around a lot.

I assume everyone has already discussed this at some point. Replacements are on ebay, anazon, ec.

coil mounts.jpg

Those are easy enough, but the ones on my 1100 Sport-i instrument cluster are female on one side, half rubber half brass and just WHY? WHY? I glued 2 of mine back together, bought the last one from Harper's, and have no idea where to go if they fail.

These are used for the coils and also the ECU. Typically a careful adhesive selection and proper surface preparation will take care of them. Until it doesn't anymore.

Be mindful when tightening or releasing fasteners into isolation blocks as this could be their demise.

With the correct dimensions on hand, consider McMaster-Carr for replacements.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, docc said:

With the correct dimensions on hand,...

Things like isolation blocks (the Germans universally refer to "silent blocks"...) are most likely going to be standard parts, aren't they? I can't imagine Guzzi would have invented the wheel new for a part like that. :huh2:

• Like 2

Haha... Captain Obvious needs zip ties. For the coil mounting, I too re-glued mine, but I also put zip-ties around the bracket and the subframe that keep pressure on the rubber dampers, as I'm sure the glue will fail again.

• Like 4

My 2¢ ...  In the past I've used contact cement/trim adhesive with success but more recently I did the McMaster-Carr thing (as Doc mentioned) for my Eldo dash.  Ty-raps sounds good for redundancy.

16 hours ago, audiomick said:

Things like isolation blocks (the Germans universally refer to "silent blocks"...) are most likely going to be standard parts, aren't they? I can't imagine Guzzi would have invented the wheel new for a part like that. :huh2:

We too, called them "Silent Blocks" and they are standards parts.

Obviously, the one used by Guzzi have metric threads. But you can find them in the USA. McMaster-Carr has a lot of metric fasteners and sundry.

However, my Newton Meter torque wrench, I had to get from Europe. I did not want to be converting; I use the Guzzi recommended torques directly.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 10:31 AM, Cold Desert Rat said:

Spine frames are two piece and welded just aft of the front airbox mount.

No big deal. Just something I was unaware of.

Carry on.

2piece frame.jpg

There's a plate at the weld to close the bottom of the crankcase breather chamber, inside the upper part of the spine. Condensed oil vapor returns to the sump from a port just above the weld.

Not a new idea, but it is smart, two functions for the spine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3