Steel V Titanium

Lucky Phil

Don't worry about it . You WILL know a bad axle when you see it . Also , when you slide your hand up & down the axle shaft length (while wearing a brown jersey glove) and if you feel bad spots om the show up , replace it .

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, docc said:

I'm not sure my American English clearly translates that Australian English ? :huh: ?

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

It's Shakespeare docc.

Phil

Ah! ENGLISH English ! :grin:

The only country that speaks better English than the English themselves is, of course, Australia. No accent, no dialect, no slang, just perfect unadulterated English. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

As I have said, the V11 has a busy rear axle.

You haven't seen a busy rear axle until you pull the wheel off an early carb Sport..:grin:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, guzziart said:

Hi Phil,

Your steel axle appears like the wheel bearing had spun on it....Is that normal?  My rear axle looks like that, I can feel a slight steps/ridges on mine.  I attribute the wear to the misplacement of the large washer that normally goes between the rear drive and swing arm being improperly placed between the wheel external drive splines & rear drive internal drive splines.  Yep, you read that right.  I'm just glad I caught it before it ruined the any splines since the washer only allowed partial spline engagement.  Anyway, back to the "stepped" axle....to me, it obviously looks worn due to a bearing spin.  I'd like to replace the axle if I come across a good used one but haven't been successful at that yet.  Maybe i should get off my wallet and buy new, if available??!!   Or if you're satisfied with your engineering and make a run of axles please place me on your list of potential buyers.  Thoughts? 

Oh, my wheel bearings feel ok and I couldn't detect any unusual wear with the bearing i.d.

Art

PS - Nice job on the Ti axle!

Here is an image of the "slight steps/ridges" of my original rear axle (left) and the same appearance of the new axle (right):

IMG_3888.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, guzziart said:

Hi Phil,

Your steel axle appears like the wheel bearing had spun on it....Is that normal?  My rear axle looks like that, I can feel a slight steps/ridges on mine.  I attribute the wear to the misplacement of the large washer that normally goes between the rear drive and swing arm being improperly placed between the wheel external drive splines & rear drive internal drive splines.  Yep, you read that right.  I'm just glad I caught it before it ruined the any splines since the washer only allowed partial spline engagement.  Anyway, back to the "stepped" axle....to me, it obviously looks worn due to a bearing spin.  I'd like to replace the axle if I come across a good used one but haven't been successful at that yet.  Maybe i should get off my wallet and buy new, if available??!!   Or if you're satisfied with your engineering and make a run of axles please place me on your list of potential buyers.  Thoughts? 

Oh, my wheel bearings feel ok and I couldn't detect any unusual wear with the bearing i.d.

Art

PS - Nice job on the Ti axle!

As doccs image shows the steps are normal. Makes it easier to remove and install the axle. The steps are only .5mm on the dia where there is no interface with bearings.

Phil. 

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, audiomick said:

The only country that speaks better English than the English themselves is, of course, Australia. No accent, no dialect, no slang, just perfect unadulterated English. :whistle:

Kin oath....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

So, @Lucky Phil, aside from the lighter axle, the wheel change you had planned must be a pretty dramatic un sprung weight difference . . .

The new wheel is a 5.5 X 17 and fitted with a 180 tyre is around 6kg lighter lighter than the old 5.5 x 17 with a 170 tyre. That's with the hub drives and disks fitted. Then there is the axle and the brake bracket machining which was done for looks not weight saving. Then whatever is saved by machining off the bevel box flange maybe 150gms. 6kg is a decent weight saving swinging on the rear axle. I forgot to measure the weight saving on the front wheel and tyre assembly.

Phil

IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Phil, while clearing out the shop I found that disassembled V11 bevelbox again. Are you still interested?

Yes please Pete, that would be great. I can pay for the shipping or a donation to MSF.

Phil