Getting back on a V11. Things I should know.

DucatiGuzziIndian

Welcome, @DucatiGuzziIndian! You are certainly in the right place to sort, ride, and enjoy a Moto Guzzi V11 Sport! :race:

Out of everything you posted, this statement struck a chord, "I'm a hands on, workshop capable person ." :luigi:

I recall an early journalist commenting on the V11 Sport (might have been Gordon Jennings, I'll have to look for the reference. Thus, I paraphrase. Emphasis added):

"It is an interesting motorcycle that may require some owner involvement."

It also occurs to me to say, "Let's ask the other inmates on the ward if we're really crazy." :blink: <_< :whistle:

• Like 2

As for relays, here is the current (pun intended!) selection. The Pickers Components are very slightly preferred over the CIT (same company, we think):

And the bases are not so much about "changing the holder", but making certain they are tight and conductive (i.e. Caig DeOxit®) . . .

Welcome. A couple quick thoughts..

Handling: I've owned both frame  lengths and can attest to the short/red frame handles considerably better. That said, it no longer interests me to push my limits on tight twisty roads, and the later long frame is great for me. I found no twitch or unsettling handling aspects with my red frame.

Staintune 'alleges' no tuning necessary when using their cans. IDK for sure. I do know you'll eventually want a more open can.

Electric gremlins are a concern but easily sorted once found. As with any 22 y/o bike, how it has been stored would be a top concern for myself if I were looking. Weak and deteriorating connections are negatively impacted by corrosion, and I would avoid a 'crusty, rusty, left outside' example. Even with a good clean find, I'd recommend attending to every connection.

The Roper, or slosh plate is a small investment with a potentially large payoff. Just get one.

Green is good.:P

• Like 3

All your questions are well founded, except the one about tires. Like oil, there's lots of good choices, everyone has a different favorite, and trying to get consensus is a lost cause. :D

This site offers answers to all the other questions, but searching inside the site can be tedious. I've had good luck using Google  and "V11lemans.com" plus your topic.

As for answers, I'll take the one about relay bases. Two things can go wrong, there's a plug hidden under the base that can come loose, and the terminal sockets in the bases can slacken due to frequent relay changes. See @Kiwi_Roy s post 

• Like 2

I haven't had my V11 all that long, so this is not expert experience, but rather stuff that I have read here and elsewhere.

ECU and map:

Have you read about Guzzidiag yet? Look here:

https://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Guzzidiag is an analysis programme that displays what the ECU is receiving from the various sensors, and can actuate the fuel pump and injectors to see if they are functioning correctly and such things. Guzzidiag can't change the map.

The reader and writer programmes can respectively read out and save to a file on your computer the map currently installed on the ECU and install a map (re-install the original, install a different one...). So, with those programmes you can change the map if you have an alternative to install.

Right down the bottom of the page is a link to tuner-pro. Unlike everything else on the page, Beard did not write that programme. I haven't looked at it yet, but I gather tuner-pro can be used to look at and analyse and alter a map.

So yes, it is possible to change a map, but this might involve quite a lot of research and time and effort. Unless you find someone who already has a map that suits your setup.

Brace on the gearbox:

As far as I can tell from what I have read, the part in question must be part #15 on this diagramme

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/rahmen-1100-sport-corsa-98-99-ex-30_3006_300615_30061510_3006151001.html

Going by the parts lists on that site, that part was fitted to the Sport 1100 / 1100 Sport and Centauro models. Going by what I have read here, it was apparently fitted to a very small number of very early V11 Sport. For some reason, it stopped being fitted even though the mounting bracket was still on the frame. The lack of this bracket is considered to be the cause of cracking in the rear of the gearbox housing. The later, long frame V11 models have additional bracing from the frame to the gearbox and no longer have the bracket for the brace on the frame. Therefore, mounting the brace on those models is neither necessary nor possible.

Here is a thread on the topic

Pete Roper slosh plate:

The problem that the slosh plate addresses is that, under acceleration, the intake to the oil circulation system can suck air because the oil has surged to the back of the sump, and the intake is at the front. I believe that there was a change to later V11 models that alleviates this problem, but I'm not at all sure about that.

Forum member @Pressureangle is working on getting a batch of the plates made. I'm planning on getting one when they become available, even though it may not be so critical for my 2002 V11 Le Mans. The most current information I have found is here

• Like 4

Relays: while I have purchased qty 5 of the OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12, I have never installed them other than doing some trouble shooting when I was affected by the "no crank" issue. I have now 30,000 miles and counting.

Staintune: my V11 is equipped with this exhaust. I scratched one of the cans, and when I checked Staintune, they were no longer in business, having been purchased by another Australian company. After reading your message, I checked again, and it seems they are on the net again, devoid of an exhaust system for the V11, or any Moto Guzzi for that matter. They have a contact form, so you may be able to get them to make one for you.

This is how mine sounds:

This is with the Mistral:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1919546008426964

The Mistral look very good on the V11...

Mistral exhausts

• Like 3

On 9/4/2023 at 9:21 AM, docc said:

Welcome, @DucatiGuzziIndian! You are certainly in the right place to sort, ride, and enjoy a Moto Guzzi V11 Sport! :race:

Out of everything you posted, this statement struck a chord, "I'm a hands on, workshop capable person ." :luigi:

I recall an early journalist commenting on the V11 Sport (might have been Gordon Jennings, I'll have to look for the reference. Thus, I paraphrase. Emphasis added):

"It is an interesting motorcycle that may require some owner involvement."

It also occurs to me to say, "Let's ask the other inmates on the ward if we're really crazy." :blink: <_< :whistle:

Ha ha 

Perhaps the Ragged Fringe of Eccentricity suits us best....?

Cheers 

• Haha 1