The "X" madness has contaminated motorcycles?!

The "X" branding seems to be on the rise nowadays...

Ducati DesertX, Moto Morini X-cape, Honda had already used the X before in many of their models such as XL, Yamaha with XT, we also have X pro motorcycles.

I don't get it; what does X means in marketing recently? (not talking about the social media formerly named Twitter, not talking about replacing the "X" sound such as Xite for "Exciting", but the X moniker in model names that feels like a new norm.

7 hours ago, footgoose said:

I think they're going for eXtreme. 'Yer not just a bad dude, yer a really bad dude.' Secondarily, it can mean whatever the potential buyer want's it to mean. An optional identity.

"s" has played out, no?

Yup!

Lots of wannabe squids were willing to pay,sometimes twice as much for insurance coverage because of the R in the model name.

Bookies in Vegas are taking bets already; if the X craze will prove as profitable 

:rasta:

• Like 1

I think the X has often signified "cross" as in cross country, or motocross. So the early Yamaha XTs and Honda XRs sort of paved the way with their off-pavement capable bikes. BMW even briefly had a 650 XMoto, XChallenge and XCountry. 

But it was sad day for cars when the Datsun 240Z turned into the 280ZX. That X was just extra stuff that made the car uglier.

• Like 1

BMW used a shortened version of 4x4 for their cars. They marketed X Drive around 20 years ago. They started with their SUV's, then put it on some cars. I bought a new GSX in the early '90's, which signified awd. They have been using that letter for quite a while. Now I guess it has a different meaning.  If it rolls off the tongue, someone will use it to market something.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

Yup!

Lots of wannabe squids were willing to pay,sometimes twice as much for insurance coverage because of the R in the model name.

Bookies in Vegas are taking bets already; if the X craze will prove as profitable 

:rasta:

Yea, R means it is faster, and two R's (RR) means it is faster still.....

• Like 1

Something came to mind....

Adult movies were soft named "X" movies to avoid making it to obvious. This theater specialized in "X" films. But in Amsterdam the "X" zone was named the "red" district. Probably because of the way the windows were red lit.

So the X almost covers everything.

My "sobriquet", P6x also has an "X" since my last name is difficult to pronounce I guess...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Everyone knows that red is 10% faster (that's why most Ferraris are red, for instance), ergo "X" must also be 10% faster. :) :grin:

My V11 Le Mans is also "red". Not certain it is 10% faster than non red ones????