14° right now with this continuing for a few days. Looking forward to a balmy 27 tomorrow midday. Minnesota weather in Oregon right now. Daffodils were 4"tall before this hit. Let's see how hardy they are.

• Like 2

North of you, we are in the same boat. Will supposedly rise to the 30s or so over the next day or two.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 12.25.23 AM.png

• Like 2

We're just coming out of a cold spell. About 2 weeks, a number of days not over -10° C. and nothing over about -3°C. That counts as "very cold" for Leipzig. :ph34r:

Today is about +1°C. Snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow, and again later in the week. This week it apparently wont get much over +2°c, but also not much below -1°C. That is about right for here and this time of year, but I still find it too cold for my taste. :(

The week after is predicted to see temperatures around 5 or 6°C for the whole week. Maybe I'll finally be able to get a couple of hours in the practically unheated garage in. :)

• Like 2

Expecting the cold front to reach Houston tonight, lasting throughout till Wednesday...

I am hoping we are not going to have power cuts like in 2021... two days without power, and water is unfathomable in the modern world.

25 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

3 degrees, wind and snow.  Gotta take the wife for surgery tomorrow and 5am.  She'll be overnight there.  

Good thoughts sent your way! Hope the medical team is ready to go. Brutal conditions for lots this week.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, p6x said:

two days without power

My daughter was almost 4. Easier to deal with when you have natural gas, but she is on all electric, as probably you are. 

An anecdote from the former East Germany:

Apparently the winter 1996/1997 was very cold. A colleague related how the had repeated power failures. Most, if not all, of the power was being generated with brown coal. It was so cold that the coal froze to a solid block in the transport wagons, and they couldn't off-load it to feed it into the power plants. :(

EDIT: 1996 was after the re-unification, of course. But "only" about 15 years, and a lot of the infrastructure in the former East Germany still hadn't been renewed by then. The power in the DDR was almost all from brown coal. Even today, there is still a power station a bit south of Leipzig that is still using brown coal. I think it is planned to be closed down in the near future, but at the moment it is still on line.

• Like 1

Overnight here in the "Sunny (U.S.) South", they forecast 4-6 (four to six ) inches of snow overnight.  <_<

Our alternative "English" speaking brothers might pronounce that "far t' sex " (and just hope it ain't so . . . .) :unsure:

letitsnowletitsnowletitsnow

• Like 1
On 1/13/2024 at 1:34 PM, activpop said:

14° right now with this continuing for a few days. Looking forward to a balmy 27 tomorrow midday. Minnesota weather in Oregon right now. Daffodils were 4"tall before this hit. Let's see how hardy they are.

Interesting and odd week for all, including us Oregonians…(activepop)

i left Great Falls Montana Wednesday, where it as 42f when i arrived day before, dropped to 11f but with wind when we left (that wind is a killer), and by friday it was -31 there at Great Falls plus a nasty breeze.  -5 at our office in Fairbanks, which is a balmy day for them, but to have so many places down south be colder was the weird thing. 

But then i saw its snowing out your direction Docc…. Now thats what gets my attention.

back to gray and rain soon here in Oregon, but not quite yet.

Gotta head to denver soon to stash a new-to-me v85tt till the weather breaks in the spring.  

• Like 1

Plumbers around here will be fixing frozen pipes for the next few weeks, soon to be followed by Texas plumbers. Spring can't come fast enough.

• Like 1

Oh, on the topic of cold, tested the new pellet stove this weekend in the shop while working on greenie.  5th form of heat I’ve tried now in the old shop.  (Can’t do a mini split in that location, so have been trying everything else for last many years).  The old wood stove is great but a hassle if not spending the whole day out there. 

Turns out the pellet stove can’t keep up with the 14 f deg temps in temps.  Bummer.  Users of that stove say it heats their little houses plenty hot, but a poorly insulated metal building on a concrete, cold soaked slab is a different animal.  So back to the good old wood-stove for the real cold days, like this weekend.  After an hour with the wood stove I had to strip off layers as I was too hot.  But for most typical oregon winter days, I think the pellet stove will be fine.  Just not the real cold snaps. Keeps those pipes from freezing, and me too. 

• Like 1

Well, this morning we got a little taste of coldish weather, with 28 degF on the clock, while felt temperatures were much lower because of the wind and humidity.

The big freeze is expected to happen tonight.

I went out to protect the shrubs in full riding gear, and could still feel the howling wind hacking at me. So far, no power interruption.

Lots of frozen pipes issues up here on the mountain from folks who lost power for a few days. Some wont even find out until things warm up. Still 77,000 homes without power, and an ice storm coming tomorrow. These utility and tree crews can't get a break.

• Sad 1