Here we go... single digit temperatures in H'town.

The good thing is so far, no power losses; at least not where I live.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, p6x said:

Let's hope!

A meteorologist explained to me that the very cold temperatures caused this to be a very fluffy, light snow. Unlike the usual wet, heavy (and icy) winter precipitation we usually get in the U.S. south that wreaks havoc on the trees and power lines.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Crazy! We are a warm 16°.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, docc said:

Let's hope!

A meteorologist explained to me that the very cold temperatures caused this to be a very fluffy, light snow. Unlike the usual wet, heavy (and icy) winter precipitation we usually get in the U.S. south that wreaks havoc on the trees and power lines.

Yeah, same here. The cold temps meant that much of the snow was the light fluffy variety around us. But others to our east and south may not be so lucky. It is pretty cold, a high of 26 today with a low of 13. We have had colder, but for me that is cold enough.

As to power, we don't have the power issues Texas has. Or California. Power might go out, but we don't get rolling brownouts or blackouts. We don't make all our power, but we are part of a larger grid so that shortfalls in power production can come in from elsewhere.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

32°C is about 90°F. Too hot for me to go out:P

Screenshot_20240119_121638_MetService.jpg

Precisely, why this thread exists --->

21 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

32°C is about 90°F. Too hot for me to go out:P

Screenshot_20240119_121638_MetService.jpg

We had about 275 degrees K, it was freezing....

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, p6x said:

We had about 275 degrees K, it was freezing....

If I recall my science anywhere close, at zero degrees Kelvin: the sun freezes up and the Universe screeches to a halt.

Pretty sure I'll never get mySport started after that . . . :huh: <_< :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ha ha 

Whist 30 + degrees doesn't faze Aussies much it knocks the tripe out of Kiwi's... especially those of us from the South!

I remember when I first got here ( Winter ) and I had to sleep on top of the bed with no covers for many months and when being driven round in a car had to have the windows down much to everyone else's amusement!

Ha ha I've been here near on 40 years and I still don't like the heat!

I got used to it a little back then but as now older find I'm getting more intolerant of it again....

Oh well it's a reasonable 18 degrees outside so in a couple of hours I'll retreat to the balcony with a glass o vino and refine my grumpy ole git routine! The wine will be a better anesthetic then the weak as bats piss painkillers they gave me for my back.... 

Cheers 

• Haha 4

Two days ago we had about 12"C. Yesterday and today about 8"C. Some rain, and lots of wind.

It's still cold, but it's like Spring sent a postcard with the message "hey, I'll be round in about 6 weeks. See you then". :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 1/26/2024 at 6:07 PM, audiomick said:

Two days ago we had about 12"C. Yesterday and today about 8"C. Some rain, and lots of wind.

It's still cold, but it's like Spring sent a postcard with the message "hey, I'll be round in about 6 weeks. See you then". :)

Here, in The States, we call that Groundhog Day (February 2nd). There is some convoluted matter of the groundhog coming out of his hole and, if he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter. The adage typically does not address the contingency of him not seeing his shadow, but it makes for an adequate drinking holiday in places like Pennsylvania where is celebrated with some verve.

I always just call it halfway to spring and celebrate either way (shadow or no). I prefer to ride that day, but will settle for whatever verve seems most applicable . . .

:bier:

• Like 2