Breather Hose oil leak

FreyZI

I had another look at Stein-Dinse and found the part(s) that I remembered finding last year. One for just over 70 Euros, and one really cheap.

I found them in the parts list for a V10 Centauro. They weren't linked in the V11 parts lists at Stein-Dinse that I looked at. I think someone sent me a link when I bought mine last year. Anyway, here it is...

https://www.stein-dinse.com/de/search.html?grp=&searchStr=30157400

The expensive one is probably original, the cheap on has a Z on the end of the part number, and is therefore definitely from a third party supplier. The Z in Stein-Dinse numbers always indicates that.

The cheap one is apparently in stock. The original is listed with a delivery time of up to 8 weeks.

It is of course up to the individual concerned, which part he or she chooses. I bought the expensive one on the strength of advice from a very well informed source here. He reckons the more expensive original part will last longer. Time will tell. :huh2:

• Like 1

I just checked my invoice and it has part # 30157400 for the breather so hopefully the better quality one.

Don't fancy going through that carry on with oil everywhere again anytime soon ha ha .

Cheers  

12 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Many OEM hoses I found listed, weren't actually available. I agree though, if I could have purchased the OEM one, I would have. At the time, I think the only place that had it was in Germany and it was like $80 plus shipping.

Interesting enough, I only paid $18, and free shipping. I see now, it cost twice that amount!

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 1.03.30 PM.png

That hose is for coolant and it MIGHT not be compatible with petroleum . This may not last as long as you would want. 

With the Sporti I used 2 silicone elbows and an alloy tube for the main breather from the engine to the frame.

Silicone isn't recommended for oil, but when I asked the supplier he stated that for a breather it would probably be Ok and so far no problems.

Just saying that if obtaining the part is too difficult or expensive, it's not beyond the wit of man to fabricate something.

Pretty sure compatible material elbows are available

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weegie said:

it's not beyond the wit of man to fabricate something.

Yes, no doubt.

I recall reading here that someone had fabricated a hose using straight, oil-resistant rubber hosing and copper elbows from the plumbing supplies department. Sounds very plausible and possible to me. :)

PS: it just occurred to me that I have bent copper tubing myself once upon a time. Don't know what for anymore, but the tool is still in my workshop somewhere. It is just a long spring that goes aroung the outside of the copper pipe to stop it from collapsing in the bend. Has to be the right size, of course. I'm pretty sure I found it in the hardware store.

That tool and precisely applied brute force, and one should be able to bend the elbows to exactly what one needs. :huh2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gstallons said:

Have you got pics of the finished product ?

Not in my extensive archive of images of bodged attempts at spannering/wrenching and unsuitable for children and those of a nervous disposition

I'll see if I can get some pictures later but kind of difficult what with all the other paraphernalia Guzzi managed to insert in there

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My:2c:...

I'm retired, on a fixed income, don't have deep pockets but when or if my breather hose fails, this is my contingency plan....https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=1186 .Yeah, it maybe made of material that is not as good as the original or it might be better, who knows, I don't care.  Plus it won't be boogered up with a half dozen hose clamps.:D

On the otherhand, if I replaced one of these hoses with an aftermarket piece and it didn't last more that a season or two I'd opt for the genuine oe stuff.  FWIW, the breather hose on mine is 20+ years old and shows no sign deterioration (weather checking, etc.)  Hope I didn't put the maloik on it by bragging that it's the original.

Respectfully submitted,

Art

PS - I like the $0.02 imoji

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, I pulled the tank off of my 2000 V11 this weekend to do my Tank-Off maintenance.  Old dried caked oil everywhere under there.  Traced it back to a split in the breather hose near the top clamp by the frame.  That makes 4 of us recently I think.  I put in my order for the parts from MG cycle today.  I read that it is a bugger to reach and can tell the same just by cleaning around it.  Does anyone have any tips for me that may make my task a little easier as I go at it?

Having replaced mine, I can say it's very easy, especially with the tank off. You should have no problem.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cowtownchemist said:

... I read that it is a bugger to reach and can tell the same just by cleaning around it.

4 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

... I can say it's very easy, especially with the tank off....

I did mine a couple of months ago. Actually changing the hose is in fact not that hard. A bit of a fiddle due to the bends near the ends, but not hard. You just can't see what you're doing all that well.

The tedious part is dismantling the bike far enough to get to the hose. @cowtownchemist you have your tank off already, so the worst of it is done. Getting to that stage on a Le Mans also means having the fairing off. If I remember rightly, it is also a help to take the airbox out.

So, as mentioned, actually changing the hose isn't really the problem, but rather the buggerising around to get to the point where you can access the hose. B)

• Like 6

Started into this project today.  Looks like the recent blowout only added to years of oily gunk in there.  One benefit to having the frame caked in an oily mess is no rust. :huh2:  Tank off, fairing off, air box off, breather hose off.  Here's what it looks like:

20240305_220355.jpg20240305_220339.jpg

Other end has similar, if slightly smaller cracks.  I was expecting bigger.  What kind of pressure does this hose carry? 

One thing of interest (to me), the hose was installed upside down (i.e., as shown in the photo).  As a result, the hose was pressed against the farthest aft fin of the voltage regulator.  I suspected there might be a hole at that spot, but looks like just a bit of an indentation there.

Tomorrow begins deep cleaning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FreyZI said:

What kind of pressure does this hose carry?

Not much. There is a hose that attaches to the top of the frame just behind the steering head and vents into the airbox, so the whole breather system is open to the outside in the end. There are surges in there no doubt, but I can't imagine that the absolute pressure in the system is at any time all that far away from ambient atmospheric pressure. :huh2:

• Like 2

Agree I tried to measure crankcase pressure on the Sporti when I was having blow-by problems (which were due to the bores being outwith spec from when they left the factory, but that's another story).

It fluctuates, obviously with piston movement so cycles every revolution, but I wouldn't think it was any greater than a couple of inches of water gauge overall. Might see more if you placed a high speed transducer to read the pressure peaks. That said rubber hose will (at least partially) absorb these peaks and as @audiomick pointed out the system is open to atmosphere on the frame

Here's some idea of the amount of air that's being moved

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4