What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

4 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

I was not extolling the special virtues of that rendition of Ode to Joy, but remarking on the vocal range  — and other pleasing attributes — of Carla Maffioletti.

Yeah, I got that. :)

I'm up for schmalz and fiddling too, and yes, people like Rieu do bring pleasure to millions and perhaps even bring some people to listen so stuff they might otherwise have missed out on. I just prefer to go on and listen to what the originator of the piece actually intended. Mostly, as in the case of Beethoven's 9th., there is a heap of really interesting subtleties that get lost when someone does a "greatest hits" arrangement. :)

Anyway, difficult to hold such a conversation via text alone. It can so quickly sound (look) like something other than what was intended to be said. I'm not a music snob, I'm a sound engineer, I studied music and currently work in an opera house. That doesn't stop me enjoying a bit of kitsch now and then, or distorted guitars. ;)

• Like 3
4 hours ago, audiomick said:

Yeah, I got that. :)

I'm up for schmalz and fiddling too, and yes, people like Rieu do bring pleasure to millions and perhaps even bring some people to listen so stuff they might otherwise have missed out on. I just prefer to go on and listen to what the originator of the piece actually intended. Mostly, as in the case of Beethoven's 9th., there is a heap of really interesting subtleties that get lost when someone does a "greatest hits" arrangement. :)

Anyway, difficult to hold such a conversation via text alone. It can so quickly sound (look) like something other than what was intended to be said. I'm not a music snob, I'm a sound engineer, I studied music and currently work in an opera house. That doesn't stop me enjoying a bit of kitsch now and then, or distorted guitars. ;)

I’m a drummer, so anything I say about music is suspect. 😄

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, activpop said:

We need rain badly here at the top of Virginia, with daily drought warnings and heat advisories.  

My brother in Hiawassee reports similar conditions there.

I'd ride uncomplainingly in the rain just to bring some relief to the flora and fauna.  

Bill

• Like 3

On the way home from the SSR, I had to give up the tunes to Nic; of course everyone likes what they heard when they were a teenager so, here you go; I know every word on the album because I used to travel with the kids a lot...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

When life itself seems lunatic,
who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams - this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness - and maddest of all: to see life as it is,
and not as it should be!

~ Don Quixote 

• Like 2