What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Today, I'm doing more headlight work.  I attempted to replace the original equipment H4 headlight bulb with an LED H4, the inexpensive LED H4 lasted 2-3 months.  My 2nd attempt to move to an LED involved buying a 7" round "Jeep" style LED headlight assembly.  Unfortunately I now discovered that the 7" Jeep thing will not install.  Apparently, the OEM headlight/reflector assembly have the tabs molded into it that allows the assembly to be secured into the HDL bucket, a tab on top that fits into HDL bucket & a tab on the bottom that contains a speed nut for a securement screw, in other words the OEM assembly is NOT secured into the bucket by the headlight bezel/trim ring.  The trim ring "snaps" onto the headlight/reflector assembly.  So, I have no easy way to install the Jeep thing unless I can somehow find a trim ring that will fit onto the Jeep HDL, has a tab that fits the HDL bucket on top and a tab on the bottom to allow a screw securement.  Oh well, live and learn.  At this point I'm inclined to try another budget H4 LED, I've become very good at fairing r & r.  Plus, I installed an LED pilot bulb so I'm not completely dark in front and it is brighter than I thought it would be.  FWIW, I don't ride at night but would like to be more conspicuous during daytime riding.

large.20230809_084834.jpg

• Like 1

Today I did nothing on or to the Guzzi, but something for a Guzzi: paid for it. ;)

A Breva 750 i.e. with less than 10,000 km on the clock, to be precise 9,883 km. . Of those, about 9,500 were ridden before 2013. Effectively one owner. There are two in the papers, but the first was a dealership. It was a "test-ride" bike.

Actually a fairly boring motorcycle in a lot of ways, but I wanted a boring motorcycle to run errands on so that I don't do that on the V11 (or the V35 Imola), and the Breva is also a Guzzi. B)

• Like 5

20 hours ago, footgoose said:

Hi FG,

No the amazon bezel won't work, unfortunately but thanks for looking.

The LED pilot bulb is a sylvania #194.  I got it at Walmart, was about $7 and was on a hook in the automotive bulb display area.  Don't forget to read the instructions....if it doesn't work initially, remove it, rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall...polarity sensitive.

Art

• Like 1

12 hours ago, guzziart said:

Hi FG,

No the amazon bezel won't work, unfortunately but thanks for looking.

The LED pilot bulb is a sylvania #194.  I got it at Walmart, was about $7 and was on a hook in the automotive bulb display area.  Don't forget to read the instructions....if it doesn't work initially, remove it, rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall...polarity sensitive.

Art

I mean, jus' sayin' . . .

• Like 3

One of the inexpensive clones I bought had a base that I felt was too thick to install.  As a result of the thicker base, the bulb retaining springs exerted more pressure on the two retaining tabs on the reflector.  I was concerned that the additional tension would break the plastic reflector tabs so I didn't install the bulb but instead bought another inexpensive bulb having a thin flat stamped steel base like a conventional H4. Anyway, the bulb only lasted a  few months, if that and I've ordered another inexpensive LED H4 to "try".

And, while I have the fairing off for inexpensive LED bulb research purposes I'm gonna have another go at my seeper/leaker timing sensor.

Took the bike into the office again yesterday...

Hard to start and had to toggle the kill switch to get her to do so! Got to servo and same shit as the other month, wouldn't take any throttle when trying to accelerate onto the highway! Bugger not this again..

Definitely not battery this time as has been ridden at least once a week for some time now.

Once again she came good after a few kays!

So,when quiet at work I pulled the seat and removed relays to check... pretty dusty /dirty in there so cleaned the base and actually replaced # 1 as although it was a 5 pin it wasn't a GEI like the others...odd.Started ok.

After work at 2.30pm she fired right up and ran like a champ through the heavy traffic for 10-15 kays till clear of Cranbourne and open road and still no issues! 

When I got to the fun bits she was still running brilliantly and had a ripper of a ride home!The new settings up front (yep still experimenting with forks) meant it was probably the hardest I've ever ridden this stretch... so I reckon I'm very very close!

Still glowing this morning!

Cheers 

Ps For every up there's a downer...

Think I may have a wee (hopefully a wee one) surprise in the mail in next few weeks...

Safety cameras ... Bollocks it's bloody revenue raising nothing more!! 

• Like 3

Thanks mate.

I'm usually pretty good at spotting them but when you're knackered after a hard week and probably more pre-occupied with how the bikes running and handling, I didn't see this one till last minute....

23 minutes ago, guzzler said:

So,when quiet at work I pulled the seat and removed relays to check... pretty dusty /dirty in there so cleaned the base and actually replaced # 1 as although it was a 5 pin it wasn't a GEI like the others...odd.Started ok.

GEI relays? :unsure: Oh, dear . . .

Surely, something more proven and reliable could be had there . . .

2 minutes ago, docc said:

GEI relays? :unsure: Oh, dear . . .

Actually Doc, I've had GEI's in there for ages and no issues,,,

The start relay #1 wasn't a GEI but it is now.

Fingers crossed as I don't need any lectrickery shenanigans just now!

Gotta try making a Voodoo doll* of the public prosecutor ..just in case he/she decides to send me a polaroid shortly! 

*Ps just kidding by the way!

Sure, any new and unused relay might solve an issue, but lay its failure in wait.

What relay came out of Position #1 that could have been worse than a GEI?  A TYCO, perhaps? Not the dreaded OEM Seimens? 

32 minutes ago, docc said:

Sure, any new and unused relay might solve an issue, but lay its failure in wait.

What relay came out of Position #1 that could have been worse than a GEI?  A TYCO, perhaps? Not the dreaded OEM Seimens? 

Not sure mate.

I've still got the old one and will have a look and report back.

The missus is looking for lunch so off we go....

Cheers