Green + Attitude = Gratitude

Scud

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I removed this sticker. After 17 years, the paint is a little different underneath - but I'll cover it up with a tank protector soon.

IMG_6981.jpg

While I was at it, I installed this NOS transmission bracket, which I picked up from Moto International for cheap. This is to prevent the transmission case from cracking.

IMG_6996.jpg

It's rather tricky to get tools on the upper fasteners, but easier with the fuel pump out of the way. I installed the aftermarket fuel pump, which MG Cycle promotes as a plug-n-play. That's almost true, it's a bit longer the the original pump so I shortened the line to the filter. It also requires a little creativity to mount. I just wrapped it in some old inner tube to get the right thickness.

IMG_6998.jpg

I also made a fuel supply line. Surprising how hard it is to find true 12mm fuel line. The heat sleeve and rubber shrink ends are by HeatShield Products. I'm pleased with how it turned out and need to add one of these black lines to the Scura.  :ninja:

IMG_6997.jpg

And while I was doing all that, the postman brought a little package from MotoMummy - Pazzo levers. Titanium color shortys with black adjusters. MotoMummy sells a pair for $150 with free shipping. That's $50 less than most places. 

IMG_6999.jpg

Test ride for fish tacos at sunset...  :food:

• Like 2

Good eye. I thought they were different than the black ones, but I hadn't figured out how.

The titanium color is a little darker than the dash and triple clamp. The silver might be closer if you care about that. But I think the titanium might be go well with the Tenni's tank color. Here's the detail I copied from my order confirmation e-mail:

Bike : Ducati 748 UP TO 1998 [DB-12/DC-12]

Length : Short Levers 

Lever Color: : Titanium

Adjuster Color: : Black

• Like 1

While I was at it, I installed this NOS transmission bracket, which I picked up from Moto International for cheap. This is to prevent the transmission case from cracking.

IMG_6996.jpg

To prevent the transmission case from cracking you should loosen the other bolt, the one behind the fuel hose in your picture. My theory is that most of the broken or yet to brake cases go onto this bolt. This point is poorly designed. Maybe it was designed better, once, then it must have fallen under a cost reduction program, same as the bracket.

Yeah, that's the weak spot. It occurred to me that some transmission cracks could be caused by over-tightening the nut on the top-mount bolt that you pointed out. It's a Ny-lock nut, so it's not going to rattle off. I only snugged it up. I also think the cracks (which are most common at the LH side of the upper transmission mount that bolt goes through) can be due to torque reaction while running.

The Greenie was running very poorly when I got it and I noticed how the whole engine seemed to twist in the frame when I blipped the throttle. In later years, the front subframe frame is beefier, but I think the most significant change was the addition of a diagonal brace from lower RH porkchop to LH porkchop where the shock reservoir mounts (the brace that also makes it impossible to remove the clutch slave). That brace is exactly at the right angle to stop the torque reaction I noticed in the unbraced greenie. 

I think the brace I just added also serves to stabilize the whole drivetrain against the torque reaction against the frame. Now the tranny is mounted to frame at three points instead of two.

If I recall correctly, this was Docc's experience too - the brace was added to his bike on warranty after a problem and he's had many miles since with no tranny leakage problems.

• Like 1

They are all made and machined the same way. I was at the factory last week to pickup mine. Great guys over there. I can only assume the color changes what machining marks you can see.

Really to bad the fakes flood the market and directly impact their business.

wow.   bike looks great.  I wish I had contacted MI.  Love the levers and lines.

In my experience, MI and Ida Mae are generally the least expensive sources, but MIs website sux and Ida Mae's is non existent. :)

The person that takes over keeping one of Scud's machines will be lucky indeed.(I'd do a thumbs up, but I'm pecking on a tablet that doesn't support that)

• Thanks 1