Advice request: Biker's equipment from head to toe for a (old) principiante in H'town Texas (Yee Haa?)

19 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Something good about leather, and wondering a bit after,, spending some time in Houston, how would my Rukka Amaros behave there?   It’s on the chilly side up here, you need to bring the inside warm part along after sunset. Yes I know cold, no fun riding watching out for your teeth shaking out of control.

Cheers Tom.

Tom,

When I ride, I am never cold. Do you not have the same experience? it is when I stop that suddenly I get cold. I put that down on the constant adrenaline rush from the thrill of riding, which compensates for the chill.

16 hours ago, docc said:

IMG_4163%202.jpg

The leathers are stunning and interesting, but rarely useful . . .

When I was thinking of me as the next best racing pilot of the 70's, I always ended to plant one of the foot peg into the asphalt, terminating my run by a slide on my leathers. At the time the foot pegs of my Suzuki did not fold.

This earned me a lot of respect when I was proudly and defiantly walking among my pears sporting leathers with signs of abrasion everywhere.

Wow they thought! that guy is not afraid to fall....

So yes, leathers are useful for fame, as they are your business card. Back then, you fall because you go fast!!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, p6x said:

Tom,

When I ride, I am never cold. Do you not have the same experience? it is when I stop that suddenly I get cold. I put that down on the constant adrenaline rush from the thrill of riding, which compensates for the chill.

p6x,  NO,   I'm getting cold when riding. Windchillfactor is for real, and so are temps, and the Rukka Amaros is SO airy :rasta:  My friends woud call me calm when riding, usually on the quick side.     I ride alone alot,, hmm wonder why.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 3

One of the best gear investments I have made in recent years..A buddy of mine told me about his and loved it, I bought one 4 years ago and it is worth every penny..Where I live in the San Francisco Bay area the riding temps can fluctuate 20 degree's or more from the  east bay to over the mountain on the windy, foggy  coast..I wear it year round with my Summer textile jackets..it blocks all the wind..but breaths nice.  I bought one for my wife as well.  I HATE to be cold when I ride...ruins it for me.  They make lowers to go with it if you choose.

https://www.dainese.com/us/en/motorbike/technical-layers/d-core-no-wind-thermo-tee-ls--201915957.html?dwvar_201915957_color=BLACK%2FANTHRACITE&cgid=motorbike-technical-layers#start=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@KINDOY2 Not really looking for anything to keep me warm. We were discussing leather jackets, because I need one to put my patches on. I was wondering if I could find one that would be bearable in the Texas heat.

@Tomchri by the way, have you ever been to Iceland? In the 80's I used to fly Icelandair to New-York, and we always made a stopover in Reykjavik. They were offering reasonable prices to Europe, again via Iceland, I am wondering if I should not take the opportunity to visit. Its really beautiful.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

@KINDOY2 Not really looking for anything to keep me warm. We were discussing leather jackets, because I need one to put my patches on. I was wondering if I could find one that would be bearable in the Texas heat.

@Tomchri by the way, have you ever been to Iceland? In the 80's I used to fly Icelandair to New-York, and we always made a stopover in Reykjavik. They were offering reasonable prices to Europe, again via Iceland, I am wondering if I should not take the opportunity to visit. Its really beautiful.

Daudadur, yep Icelandic moon shine.    Many stopovers, but usually prefer going east or south from here. 

They do enjoy their Formula Offraod stunts, VERY recomendable. 9miles of road and chilly scenery, just me :drink:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, p6x said:

OH Sorry ..........I thought the name of this thread was " Bikers Equipment  from Head to Toe"...

• Like 1

If one want's leather that's cool (temp) it pretty much has to be perforated. I can only speak to Vanson but I own two, and they are both fully armored. One is fairly heavy and the entire chest area is perf'd with inside panels that zip open or closed. I wear it when the ride starts cold and will likely get warm. The other is lighter weight and mostly perf'd also with panels. I wear it when the ride starts warm and will maybe cool off. It gets pretty humid and hot here too. I usually get by with the lighter one with a long sleeve poly Under Armor under. The perf creates quite a surprising cooling effect with wind and a hint of sweat. Honestly sometimes too cool. Then I close up the panels, and I always carry a handy thin insulating layer, just in case.

• Thanks 1

Like Footgoose, I have a Vanson perforated jacket. It also has zipper-vents on the back and at the inside bend of the elbows. The elbow ones are tremendously effective as they force air up the sleeves and out the back.

For riding in extreme heat I will wear a moisture-wicking t-shirt under a dirt-bike stye impact rig. This is a light mesh garment with serious protection, including a quality back protector. Downside - most of the these are only available in black, but with patience, you can find a lighter color.

If it gets colder, I can just layer up over it without adding more impact protection. I have a Klim adventure-style jacket that has no pad at all (forgot which model-name). It rolls up tight, and slips easily over the impact rig.

I also picked up a hi-vis mesh jacket by Joe Rocket. It's a decent, solid, jacket with insulating and waterproof inside layers. I'm pretty happy with that, but it is not like the quality you would get from companies like Dainese or Klim.

• Like 1

If you’re looking for something to put patches on, why not just don an old-school bikers’ cut or vest? It would serve the purpose of displaying patches and can be worn over what ever seasonal attire you ride with.

As mentioned above, perforated and vented leathers work in hot weather.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I will go to the Texas Sidecars open house on March 26th; the flyer said their will be some local artisans, including custom leathers.

@Kane

I have a cut from the movie "the Warriors" shot in 1979. But I don't think I should change it from the original looks.

The Warriors in the subway

• Like 1
3 hours ago, p6x said:

I will go to the Texas Sidecars open house on March 26th; the flyer said their will be some local artisans, including custom leathers.

@Kane

I have a cut from the movie "the Warriors" shot in 1979. But I don't think I should change it from the original looks.

The Warriors in the subway

For real?!? That is too friggin’ cool. Man, if you really got a Warriors cut…..all I can say is alright! P6x, come out and play! Wow. 
Seriously, a bad ass leather vest, or a funky cut, is really great, imho. I’m really tempted to go see Gwen at Cal Leathers in Ventura and have her make one for me. A hand made leather piece like that has a lot of character and soul, and is a perfect canvas for patches, pins, whatever.

7 hours ago, Kane said:

For real?!? That is too friggin’ cool. Man, if you really got a Warriors cut…..all I can say is alright! P6x, come out and play! Wow. 
Seriously, a bad ass leather vest, or a funky cut, is really great, imho. I’m really tempted to go see Gwen at Cal Leathers in Ventura and have her make one for me. A hand made leather piece like that has a lot of character and soul, and is a perfect canvas for patches, pins, whatever.

That movie, "The Warriors" holds a special meaning to me.

It is the reason why I came to New-York in 1983. I saw the movie when it came out in France, and got fascinated by Manhattan. I decided I had to go there to see if for myself. I still have the passport with the US visa stamped in it. In those days, the visa was given for any number of entries, and indefinite validity. The modality to obtain the visa were completely different from what they became. I remember being alone in a room guarded by an immaculate US Marine in a white parade uniform. Today, you are in a waiting room with 50 other candidates, and a queue number.

Once in Manhattan, my first visit was in Coney Island, Stauch Baths where the famous graffiti was painted; I went underneath the board walk, Stillwell avenue, to get a whiff of "Warriors, come out to play!". I visited, still visit all the shooting locations when I go to New-York, like a pilgrimage.

Seriously though, I only wear the vest once a year, during Halloween. Even if this vest only represent a cult movie, and should not be viewed as "Colors", the Police told me not wear it as I could get in trouble with other "gentlemen".

You do not need to ask anyone to make a Warriors vest for you. There are plenty of them for sale on Ebay, albeit of various prices and quality.

Warriors in front of Stauch Baths

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1