Can't choose between V11 and 2v CARC bike. Help!!

Icenian

Not meant to steel topic, but I'm searching for my first big guzzi.

There is Norge near me that has  interesting coloring on exhaust. Is there maybe something bad with fueling?Screenshot_20240109_094848_Firefox.jpg

That sure does look like something is up in that muffler. It could be fueling or it could be a problem physically in the muffler.

The two valve CARC bikes are nice, but I was not impressed when I rode a Norge. It was too soft for my tastes. I can imagine that to some it would be perfect, but for me it was too soft. Like riding a marshmallow. The V11 Sport is a sharper focused tool, along with the Griso. But the V11 Sport is likely a high water mark for Guzzi. We will see if the new V100 delivers anything comparable.

• Like 1

First, thank you all for fast replay. Now back to current topic :)

I have driven V11 Ballabio and it is absolute pleasure. And love. But finding good V11 is difficult, even so close to Italy. I still didn't drive any of CARC models ...

My focus is now set at finding good Norge or Breva 1200 and bring it to Sport or above standard. Mainly by suspension tweeks.

• Like 2

@Icenian

I would recommend buying the motorcycle with the least foreseeable problems; unless you are completely dead set on a particular model, which you don't seem to be, since you requested advice.

When I set out to purchase my V11, I knew it was going to be a Le Mans, and it had to be red! any other consideration unimportant.

The same applies today when looking for a companion bike. I want a Red Quota or nothing. No compromise. There is no rationale to it. I am dead centered on what I want, whether a good or bad choice. I don't know yet.

Something I do understand pretty well, is what I want to do with the Quota. That also helped to focus on a single bike.

54 minutes ago, AlexRi7 said:

First, thank you all for fast replay. Now back to current topic :)

I have driven V11 Ballabio and it is absolute pleasure. And love. But finding good V11 is difficult, even so close to Italy. I still didn't drive any of CARC models ...

My focus is now set at finding good Norge or Breva 1200 and bring it to Sport or above standard. Mainly by suspension tweeks.

Do lots of research on the CARC models. Once sorted they are pretty much bulletproof but they do have a couple of Achilles heels you need to be aware of.

Pay particular attention to the throttlebodies before you make your purchase and learn what to look out for that will give the game away is they have been messed around with.

• Like 2

To add to Pete's reply, here is the skinny on those throttle bodies from Pete himself. Very informative...

When I was looking for a carc bike, it was surprising how some of the owners didn't have a clue about this. 

Also check on swing arm bearing service. Again, some owners didn't know how they came under lubricated when new.  If service was never done, it is better if the bike has low mileage and not seen much moisture, IMO. Both my CARCs had under 7k, so I i wasn't too worried.  This winter I will do the deed.

Also make sure the engine has roller tappets and not flat. 2012 was the cutoff serial numbers, but as Pete has poi ted out before, this needs to be inspected for positive confirmation and not rely on just serial numbers. Lots of info on these three items in search.

• Like 3

That was a bit cruel. Posting that without a safety warning for eye trauma!

And in case anyone is wondering I was neither drunk, nor have I had a stroke. I always look like that......:P

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, pete roper said:

That was a bit cruel. Posting that without a safety warning for eye trauma!

And in case anyone is wondering I was neither drunk, nor have I had a stroke. I always look like that......:P

You told me to watch it...:D

It's stuff you need to know, thanks for taking the time.

8 hours ago, pete roper said:

Do lots of research on the CARC models. Once sorted they are pretty much bulletproof but they do have a couple of Achilles heels you need to be aware of.

Pay particular attention to the throttlebodies before you make your purchase and learn what to look out for that will give the game away is they have been messed around with.

:)

First thing after I bought and driven my Nevada was to check for any ads for big blocks near me.

Second thing was to check forums for known issues.

So even if this is my first communication with good people on guzzi forums, I was reading and looking for all info maybe for 3 years now.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, pete roper said:

I always look like that......:P

No worries, mate. You don't get to choose your genes. B)

EDIT @pete roper : thank you very much for the video. Best explanation I have had yet. :)

I assume that the difference for a V11 is that one does have to adjust the throttle stop on the V11. Otherwise pretty much the same. One question, does the principle of "only adjust one bypass screw" also apply to the V11? I suspect it does, but haven't been able to find a clear statement to that effect.

I also assume that pretty much everything in the video applies equally to the Breva 750 ie. Is that true?

Thanks again.

Mick