V11 for sale online/ Craigslist and all others

chamberlin

So here we have a low-mile, mostly original "silvery".  Some corrosion, but probably paintable. 

I have to wonder though, what happened to the porkchops? It looks like holes have been cut in to make them like older Sports. So if somebody is going to cut holes in those, what other surprises await? And standard question - does the odometer still work, and has it always? Vague-lia...

Buyer be aware. Could be a nice bike, but worth a close inspection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Scud hit the nail on the head. I inquired about those holes and the owner said previous owner in Connecticut cut them in to make it look like an older 1100. I can't wrap my head around that one. I ran numbers with Aprilia in NY and gearbox recall was performed in 2004. He bought it in '22 and didn't ride it much at all. 

2 hours ago, activpop said:

Scud hit the nail on the head. I inquired about those holes and the owner said previous owner in Connecticut cut them in to make it look like an older 1100. I can't wrap my head around that one. I ran numbers with Aprilia in NY and gearbox recall was performed in 2004. He bought it in '22 and didn't ride it much at all. 

A place to keep the salsiccia warm . . . :helmet:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Keeping the sausages warm is obviously the real reason, but I have to say, I really like the way the first Sport 1100 looked with that hole in the footpeg carrier. :huh2:

Dr. John Wittner was quoted by Greg Field in Moto Guzzi Big Twins (about the holes in the early boomerang plates):

" . . . they were a great place to stuff a sandwich " . . .

[I took some liberty paraphrasing that to "salsiccia" . . .]

Our V11, starting with the Sport 1100-i and then the Centauro got the "redesigned boomerang side plates" . . .

aka "Stilettos " :sun: :ph34r:  B)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

Not only great for storing sandwiches,those holes were also a nice place to put a pipe to hold the bike up on axle stands.

All y'all should have Greg Field's treasured work in our library.  His effort to chronicle and anchor the Moto Guzzi Big Twin is second to none.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

... a nice place to put a pipe to hold the bike up on axle stands.

Which might easily be an explanation for the modification on the bike in the picture. Who knows... :huh2:

20 hours ago, docc said:

All y'all should have Greg Field's treasured work in our library.  His effort to chronicle and anchor the Moto Guzzi Big Twin is second to none.

Yup :thumbsup:

Greg Field's "Moto Guzzi Big Twins" is a fascinating deep dive into all things guzzi.

Ironically,it's on the bathroom reading rotation right now :grin:

Reading the fine details about Lino Tonti & Dr John Wittner;never grows old.

:2c:

• Like 2