When (good) luck has you have your Quota!

p6x

45 minutes ago, p6x said:

@audiomick thanks for sharing.

I hope he had enough of six weeks to install my new Michelin Road 6... Duh!

No need to do that anymore P6X...there are other options to get tires mounted in 24 hours...6 weeks is ridiculously long for tires.

2 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

No need to do that anymore P6X...there are other options to get tires mounted in 24 hours...6 weeks is ridiculously long for tires.

I don't really understand it myself. But I looked together with Mike at the Road 6 availability, and from his supplier they were out of stock.

I was travelling anyway, so it would not have made a big difference.

Tomorrow, I will check with Davey; I am hopeful the bike is ready.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, audiomick said:

Yes, most likely. That would be a bit of an issue here, as the inspectors for the bi-annual roadworthy inspection tend to get a bit allergic when it is apparent that there has been welding done on a frame. If that isn't an issue, I have no doubt that a competent welder could sort out the cracks.

You mean the inspectors would be able to identify a weld camouflaged under the paint? without x-raying it? or is it compulsory to report any chassis repair by law?

I spoke to the seller tonight.

He apologized for not answering email promptly, as he said that he was simply overwhelmed with the amount of email he was receiving daily. Not for the Quota, but he has other items that he is selling.

The owner of that Quota passed away; he was a Guzzi enthusiast, and owned two Quota. The owner only sells one, if I understand properly, which is fine with me.

He said that he fixed the turn indicators with duct tape, and all the electricals work as they should; his only concern would be the tires.

My next step is to get there, check the bike, and return with it without breaking down.

I was thinking it was going to be a walk in the park, but he said they have lower than normal temperatures in Peoria; 39 degF...

Of course, I have no winter riding gear...

• Like 1

El Paso will be even colder than that and for the elevations of West Texas.  Maybe a suggestion...have the seller take several short videos so you can hear it start, how it runs, with some revs and a walk around.  I just did that with a bike I bought in Tucson in November before I did the fly and ride...it was very helpful.  Of course, the bike I bought was a 2021, so no real concerns, but in your case, I'd be much more cautious of getting something that actually breaks down or runs so badly that the vibrations are intolerable for a 1200 mile ride back, assuming you do interstate the whole way.   I took a scenic route and did 1450 miles back from Tucson via Big Bend and all FM roads in Texas to avoid the interstate....much nicer riding!

13 hours ago, p6x said:

You mean the inspectors would be able to identify a weld camouflaged under the paint?

Probably not, if the paint is absolutely perfect. :huh2:

13 hours ago, p6x said:

is it compulsory to report any chassis repair by law?

I believe so.

At the end of the day, it is better to talk to an inspector about changes before they are done. Some are "better" than others, and even though the inspection is compulsory, the inspectors are commercial service providers. One can keep looking until one finds an inspector who is interested in something out of the ordinary. B)

13 hours ago, Chuck said:

Better check the wx forecast. There is some seriously bad weather coming to the midwest..

I use a tool to plan my journey according to weather.... of course, I can only check a few days ahead only.

Morecast Peoria route planning

30 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Oh, I thought when you said Peoria, it was "the" Peoria..as is "but will it play in Peoria.." :grin:

This went right above my head..... unfortunately :unsure:

I will google it to understand;

Peoria as Peoria in Arizona :D, next to Phoenix AZ; now I am aware of the Phoenix!

On 1/10/2024 at 11:03 AM, Chuck said:

Peoria, Ill a noise.

The phrase is believed to have originated from the popularity of Peoria as a stop on the vaudeville circuit. It is said that acts would gauge new material by how well it was received by Peoria audiences

I wonder if people know what a vaudeville is....

But I came across similar issues; such as the song Tin Pan Alley, and the Chitlin circuit when I became interested in Blues guitarist.

Plenty of those that don't translate well in other's cultures or languages.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

I wonder if people know what a vaudeville is....

But I came across similar issues; such as the song Tin Pan Alley, and the Chitlin circuit when I became interested in Blues guitarist.

Plenty of those that don't translate well in other's cultures or languages.

Lucky Peterson has in my view one of the best versions of Tin Pan Alley...let me know others you like as well.  

If you like Blues, by all means, one day visit the BB King museum...that's well worth a ride over!!

14 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Lucky Peterson has in my view one of the best versions of Tin Pan Alley...let me know others you like as well.

@docc

you can leave the topic as is. It is still about the Quota in the broad scheme of things. I am planning my trip to Peoria to look at it. But we have a freeze coming up, and I have no real winter equipment.

@PJPR01

My best ever version of Tin Pan Alley is of course this one; In Texas, Stevie Ray Vaughan, whose name I mispronounced for a long time, is an institution. I was saying the "ghan" like "gan" of Organ.... lol... I include a live version too, for good measure. Which one do you prefer?

When I first moved to Houston in 2008, my first trip was to Austin to check Antone's where he used to play before he was known. The place has now closed down. It is a pity, because they had all the pictures of him on the stage when he was still a 16's year old guy.

I have seen Lucky Peterson live in Paris. I was always a Blues enthusiast from my early days. My mum took me to see Jimi Hendrix when he played at the Olympia in Paris. This was a revelation, and I immediately decided I was going to learn to play guitar. So I learned music and trumpet for 7 years after that. (my mother did not get a good impression of Jimi Hendrix; she said Electric guitar was not a noble instrument! Louis Armstrong was a better incarnation of music in her mind! Trumpet then....)

When I finally could buy my first guitar, I was already past the time when I could dedicate the time to learn.

Strangely, my favorite guitar player is not a Blues guitar player, but that is another story. He is also based in Texas though!

Sure thing for BB King; I also saw him live in Paris. But I am more a Texas blues style of music. Lucky Peterson is Chicago style.

I also like Robben Ford very much. His use of the half diminished blues and pentatonic scales is incredible; playing Blues with a Jazzy touch.

• Like 2