When (good) luck has you have your Quota!

p6x

AWESOME..My oldest son lives in Boise..so 

I get up there once in a while, I like the place.

I hope its a good bike and worth your trip! I bought a Ducati online from a guy up there a few years ago..it turned out to be a good bike ( traded it for a V-11..ha ha)

:bike:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

I've done a 1300 mile trip on a Quota, and my statement of "one of the best touring bikes Guzzi ever made" stands..:grin:

I am not going to ride it back at this time. I have that "Texas ProRider" safety course on Sunday the 3rd, and I would never make it back on time.

I am looking forward to discovering it. I would have liked it red, but I feel myself lucky to even find one in a short span of time after missing on two that were right around my alley.

I hope the clutch does not require too much force to actuate.

Do you know if the force required to clutch is more than for the V11? The QUOTA is cable actuated, so I am expecting it to be harder than my Le Mans. I have arthritis in my left hand, so each actuation is painful. I easily get by when I don't ride in places with too much traffic stops.

However, if I am in heavy traffic, with a hard clutch, I have to stop...

I hope it turns out to be a good one.  If I can make one route suggestion that I can guarantee will put a massive smile on your face and memories for years…when you do decide to ride it back…head north from Boise to Lewiston and then ride to Lolo, Montana along highway 12…truly one of the most beautiful rides in the country.  Follows the Lewis & Clark trail.  An overnight stop near Or past Kooskia will be legendary.  From there, head to Red Lodge Montana and ride the Beartooth highway into Wyoming to the top of Yellowstone, then take the Chief Joseph scenic highway to Cody, Wyoming.  Heading south from Cody thru Thermopolis you will go thru the Wind River canyon, another very scenic stretch before the wide open and windy plains of Wyoming.

its all downhill from there on a wonderful ride thru Wyoming, Utah (Dinosaur monument), and needless to say Colorado is unlimited in amazing roads.

Hope it’s a good one!!

What Paul says.. BTDT, wrote a song about it.. ^^^^

I don't remember anything about the clutch, so it must not have been very stiff.. but then I don't remember yesterday very well. :oldgit:

Edit: Oops, missed Dinosaur monument.. maybe I need another trip west.

• Like 1

Had a good friend visiting  2 times today on a black Quta :thumbsup:  He bought it VERY cheep last year, last owner gave up. And the last owner spend big money at a useless dealer monted a PC and bla bla.  But with tuner pro and computer knowledge, now my buddy has a very good running bike, no hiccups. 

Cheers Tom.

• Like 3

From Boise airport, while flight to Denver is delayed on weather, and connection to Houston is now questionable.

I did not purchase the bike at this time.

The seller was super nice, and we spent a long time around the Quota. I am still coalescing.

• Like 1

I wanted to get some opinions from y'all;

The Quota ES1100 for sale in Boise has been seriously modified;

The current owner installed Helco Decker crash bars which are not seen in the pictures. He wanted to install heated grips and hand guards. To be able to adapt the hand guards, he cut off the bowl end of both the clutch and the brake levers.

The previous owner installed an oil breather tube from the rear drive which I don't understand the rationale for.

The previous owner has probably completely removed the Fuel vapor and re-circulation system. The current owner has a drawer full of rubber hoses and parts that look like those shown in the diagram below.

Quota 1100ES fuel vapor purification and recirculation system

According to the present owner, the previous owner had the ECU and possibly the EFI tuned up. I have requested more information on what.

The motorcycle runs perfectly.

I obviously want to change both the clutch and brake levers.

Thoughts?

Your mind is settled for Quota, buy it :rasta:.   Shoud be enough wenting with the original breather,  just don't overfill the rear drive.   Hiccup problem seems solved, and she looked clean.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bike looks like he probably Dual sported it ( That was the idea for this bike when built right?)..with those tires..and Idaho is a good place for that ..if he anticipated doing any water crossings that could explain the breather hose on the rear drive if its elevated?

I think most people I know remove a the vapor and recirculation system ..I usually do immediately..

Levers? eh...easy to remedy right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

The bike looks like he probably Dual sported it ( That was the idea for this bike when built right?)..with those tires..and Idaho is a good place for that ..if he anticipated doing any water crossings that could explain the breather hose on the rear drive if its elevated?

I think most people I know remove a the vapor and recirculation system ..I usually do immediately..

It was his initial idea, but now he has purchased a Honda CB 500 X. He feels the Guzzi is just a bit too rare in terms of support.

The breather hose runs up and back down behind the engine. Let me understand. Is the top filler plug with a weep hole? allowing water entry?

I agree with the fact the fuel vapor and recirculation does not seem useful; not even certain it works if excepted for creating a depression in your tank. But this is required by the USA for commercialization. Or it was at the time.

Levers? easy remedy. Maybe. The brake side is made by Brembo, the clutch side is generic. Depending on which website I check, an original Brembo lever can be expensive.

55 minutes ago, p6x said:

It was his initial idea, but now he has purchased a Honda CB 500 X. He feels the Guzzi is just a bit too rare in terms of support.

The breather hose runs up and back down behind the engine. Let me understand. Is the top filler plug with a weep hole? allowing water entry?

I agree with the fact the fuel vapor and recirculation does not seem useful; not even certain it works if excepted for creating a depression in your tank. But this is required by the USA for commercialization. Or it was at the time.

Levers? easy remedy. Maybe. The brake side is made by Brembo, the clutch side is generic. Depending on which website I check, an original Brembo lever can be expensive.

I kind of get it as far as support in Boise..The Ducati I bought from a guy up there 4-5 years ago there was being sold because they iused to have a Ducati Dealership who also worked on MG in Boise but they disappeared a few years ago leaving an unfortunate situation as far as Italian bike psrts and service  in that area.

12 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

I kind of get it as far as support in Boise..The Ducati I bought from a guy up there 4-5 years ago there was being sold because they iused to have a Ducati Dealership who also worked on MG in Boise but they disappeared a few years ago leaving an unfortunate situation as far as Italian bike psrts and service  in that area.

I think the issue is related to the way manufacturers are allegedly preventing independent workshops to maintain their motorcycles.

In Europe, there are still a lot of little shops willing to work on your older motorcycle; not affiliated with any specific brand.

At least our V11 are still basic enough that we can do the day to day maintenance on them.

16 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

While the brake lever is easy to source Harper has it in stock, the Clutch lever is not a stand alone part. It is an assembly comprising of the choke and I found a used one sold by Timnijmegen, with some scars on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142570054555

Although he said he had not, I think the handlebar was also shortened since he had heated grips installed, shorter than the grips that were installed before. The heated grips were not connected yet. I am saying this because when I put my finger inside the handlebar, I felt the offset resulting from a cut.

On 6/1/2023 at 9:54 AM, Chuck said:

I've done a 1300 mile trip on a Quota, and my statement of "one of the best touring bikes Guzzi ever made" stands..:grin:

What tires was your Quota equipped with?

I am concerned with the tubed tires in my environment.

Houston is rife with those pickup trucks carrying roofing supplies loosely and spraying roads with just about everything ranging from mattresses, ladders, washing machines, furniture... these items often being involuntarily sowed on every road.

A puncture on a tubeless is not as dire as they want you to think, nevertheless it can be dangerous if you fail to feel it in the early stage....