When (good) luck has you have your Quota!

p6x

2 hours ago, p6x said:

Strangely, my favorite guitar player is not a Blues guitar player, but that is another story. He is also based in Texas though!

Oh? Pray tell . . .

All Excellent versions for sure!!  SRV is or was top notch!  Many many great songs…truly seemed like the guitar was an extension of his body/soul…completely intuitive player!  That’s fantastic you were able to see those masters live!! 

Good tips on the others…another Chicago style blues man I enjoy is Byther Smith…very hardcore!

I’ll have to put these versions on the big screen thru the home theater system For the full effect!

53 minutes ago, docc said:

Oh? Pray tell . . .

Sorry; Andy Timmons. I spoke about him in a different post, under the topic: favorite songs.

He lives in McKinney Texas. (45' from Dallas)

I really like his music. I used to go to his concerts at the Guitar Sanctuary, in McKinney.

Sadly, during the pandemic they created a virtual platform "StageIT", so musicians could still safely perform and earn money. The equivalent of "Zoom" for the rest of the work force.

After the pandemic, he continues to use "StageIT" which obviously allows him to sell his shows from home. No equipment to carry, setup, rig down, carry back. No living home and family. No travel.

Not the same. Going to McKinney from Houston was a good excuse to V11 or 911.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:43 PM, docc said:

Cool. You have a favorite song/link to share?

I am very fond of his ballads;

"Cry for you" is one of his oldest, and kind of his signature song, which he plays to end most of his live performances; the version shown in this YT video is recent and done without his band. Nevertheless, a pretty good effort.

I have the exact same guitar, purchased in 2000. Unfortunately, I now know that you need more than just the guitar to be a serious guitar player.... duh!

Last photo is him and me, in Frankfort Germany, at the Music Messe. He is checking my guitar, and will letter play it during his set.

Caution: we both looked a lot younger there...

AT100_1

Andy&P6

• Thanks 1

I thought I should give you an update on my Quota Quest;

I am waiting on the current owner to give me an update on the tires' status. It all comes down to that I want to bring it back to Houston, riding it. Also, the cold front was not really ideal to ride.

The communication is slow, and I do not want to pester him since he hinted that selling the Quota was not a big priority, that he had some more pressing matters to settle, and he was overwhelmed by the number of email he was receiving.

Anyhow, we established that I was interested to purchase it, providing it was in the state shown on the photos. I believe those pictures are old, as the sticker is dated 2020, however he told me that he had re-registered the bike more recently.

As soon as I get the word on the tire, I will schedule my flight to Phoenix. This will be my second attempt to come back with a bike via the road. The first one did not go too well.

Here I come

• Like 2

The distance from Peoria to Houston is 1200 miles.

The owner sent me the pics of the tires today; would you say that in their current state, they have enough thread left?

The rear rim reads Takasago EXC; the rear tire has some cracking showing.

Excel Takasago Rims

Excel Takasago rims designed for racing use are constructed of 7 series aluminum alloy, meeting or exceeding OEM quality. Takasago rims are available in a wide range of sizes in both stock and non-stock diameters. Choose from Silver, Gold, Blue, Black or Yellow anodized finishes. (Not all colors are available in all sizes)

401727ad-97dd-4c35-8e3f-15b6c3505718 e9c57295-1899-43d7-9dad-dfb163dc01fe bba59c79-b9b0-48c6-ad3e-ac7896a22b40 49669beb-c5fb-4038-ac94-68e53683b9ad 68d0e852-beb5-4f0f-acec-7cb654adf13b

22 minutes ago, p6x said:

... the rear tire has some cracking showing.  

Any wonder. As I understand it, that number "4704" means it was produced in the 47th week of 2004. B)

Even so, I would be inclined to risk it. Don't load the bike up too much, and take it easy. :huh2:

And put new tyres on it as soon as you get home. The front tyre still has good profile, but it looks pretty old to me too. :)

• Thanks 1

Alternatively:

Ask the seller if he would be prepared to have new tyres fitted at your cost, or make arrangements yourself to have some fitted in a workshop near the seller before you set off on the trip home.

You want a Quota so much. Tyres can't be a deal breaker. :huh2:

@audiomick

I made contact with a dealership in Peoria, "go AZ west", they are supposed to contact me to let me know if they have suitable tires in stock. Although I gave him the sizes, he asked for the model and did not even know that Quota existed...

Once I see the bike, I will be able to determine if I can ride it back straight away.

I also need to check the brakes, the lights, the suspensions.

1 minute ago, p6x said:

Once I see the bike, I will be able to determine if I can ride it back straight away.

I also need to check the brakes, the lights, the suspensions.

Of course. I hope it works out...

I wouldn't risk it. 20 year old rubber is too old for me at highway speeds. Needs to have good rubber, oil and fuel. But that's me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Just as a matter of interest, which Peoria are we talking about here?

It seems there is more than one... :huh2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoria

The one in Arizona.

Exactly! in the USA, you find many cities with the same name.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, activpop said:

I wouldn't risk it. 20 year old rubber is to old for me at highway speeds. Needs to have good rubber, oil and fuel. But that's me.

I agree with you. I will only be able to make a final decision once I am there.