When (good) luck has you have your Quota!

p6x

26 minutes ago, p6x said:

I will simply ignore the bad, and concentrate on the good.

Don't we all do that in life?

Well, we should. Some people I know don't seem to be right on it though... :huh2:

I'm glad you're happy with the Quota, and hope it continues to be a source of pleasure. :)

13 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Well, we should. Some people I know don't seem to be right on it though... :huh2:

I know some of the same people too.... the main difference between them and us? they don't own a Moto Guzzi!!!

• Haha 4

On 2/6/2024 at 9:48 PM, p6x said:

Back in Houston, one Red Quota richer...

In any case, I just did a 1200 miles test ride. I liked it!

Serendipity has recently become one of my favorite words;it may become one of yours.

The valve core failed at the right time,,you were treated like royalty & given the kid glove treatment to the dealer.

The dealer stepped up & obviously did an A1 job on the tube/tire change;

Heck! I bought a Nomar because I had trouble getting that simple job done locally.:rolleyes: :grin: :homer:

Managed to keep the pride & ego at bay; & when you were cold,stopped short,but at the right time.:thumbsup:

You've learned quickly what took me years to finally adopt,even though I'd read the advice by many guzzisti .

The Tonti 5 speed tranny should be treated like a 4 speed with a 5 gear OD; the engine,drivetrain & riding experience, are all in a happier place,much nicer riding groove to get into.:2c:

I think after doing the valves & a decent tune up your mileage should improve; as you work your way through the bike & wiring harness.connections the tach may solve itself.

I have a beautiful OEM MG center top luggage bag that came with my CalVin;I feel stupid sometimes because I leave it on the shelf,but I'll explain why I do.

It's extremely handy,but the weight & the wind it catches;is in the worst spot to negatively affect the handling (& mileage btw) but also ruins the beautiful lines of my bike,jmho.

I've never wrenched my back or fallen badly;but I have caught my leg swinging it over top cases,,ouch! :oldgit:

Unless it's a low profile top case,,,I usually leave them on the shelf. fwiw ymmv :rasta:

What a beautiful bike & a great outcome.

tks for taking the time to document & share your adventure with us.

Wishing you both,many miles & smiles

:race:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@80CX100

Thank you for the kind words!

If that Quota had not been the one, I would have most likely purchased one of the two California listed on eBay...

I completely concur with the line's altering after market accessories. I would never put side cases on it, but that camel hump in the back is going to be handy.

You see, since I have the Le Mans, I only had a small tail bag which could only cater for the bare necessities. I have suffered to not be able to carry my photographic equipment, a special interest of mine. I actually do a lot of food photography, and use Tilt and Shift lenses; those require a tripod. I purchased the smallest tripod that I could find, but unfortunately, even if it fits in the bag, I do not have enough space left to carry more equipment. That top case on the Quota is going to change that.

It would be tempting to install a better windscreen that the ersatz one that comes with the Quota. I will just roll with the too small one.

At present, my biggest issue is the Tachometer that refuses to tell me the truth. Obviously, I don't want anything else but what came stock with the bike. In the same way, I love that exhaust, and I am not going to replace it with a Mistral or else. I need to get that Tach. to work. I will first try the relay swap, and if that does not work, I will continue my quest for a fix. The Tachometer seems to be accurate at low revs, even if not completely steady. However, I soon as I rev it up, it becomes unreliable and erratic.

Of course, before I use the Quota seriously, I am going to do a complete overhaul. Tune-up, brakes, suspension, everything.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the red Quota, I love mine, had it for several years, really enjoy it for blue hwy rides, I have not done a lot of interstate riding on it, so I kid my friend I do trips with about actually making it to 5th gear. I have done mostly TN, VA, West VA and Ohio.

Let me know what you think of the Dunlops, I have been considering those for my next set.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HRC_V4 said:

Congrats on the red Quota, I love mine, had it for several years, really enjoy it for blue hwy rides, I have not done a lot of interstate riding on it, so I kid my friend I do trips with about actually making it to 5th gear. I have done mostly TN, VA, West VA and Ohio.

Let me know what you think of the Dunlops, I have been considering those for my next set.

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

Something about this says it all . . .

IMG_5709.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HRC_V4 said:

After 1200 miles of I-10, for the major part, the trail mission did the job. That being said, they are not the 90/10 that I wanted. These seem to be more 70/30.

The Quota gear box staging privileged terrain use; the 5th gear is purposely only dedicated to highway cruises.

I am eager to check it on non paved roads, once I have resolved the dancing tachometer issue....

• Like 1

As one may have expected, the riding feel between a V11 and a Quota is completely different, with pros and cons for each.

The I-10 and its incredibly gusty winds made it a Quota ride hardship. The V11 is a lot more stable, and I can tuck myself behind the fairing.

Obviously, the legs are more relaxed, and the large handlebars makes it a lot easier on the wrists than the clip-on.

The Quota is unrefined compared to the V11, less smooth, crude I would say. The gear change is clunky, even if I did not experience any false neutral so far.

The turn indicator switch is not placed like that of the V11, which made me fumble initially. Anyway, not anything to write home about.

I am looking forward to putting some more miles on it, once I get the Tachometer fixed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, p6x said:

After 1200 miles of I-10, for the major part, the trail mission did the job. That being said, they are not the 90/10 that I wanted. These seem to be more 70/30.

I have the Pirelli Scorpians on my Stelvio. They feel good on the road, not sure how much confidence I would have on them in the loose stuff. Not even sure I want this monster on loose stuff. :o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, activpop said:

I have the Pirelli Scorpians on my Stelvio. They feel good on the road, not sure how much confidence I would have on them in the loose stuff. Not even sure I want this monster on loose stuff. :o

The Quota is surprisingly nimble, while being obviously top-heavy. The grand plan is to be able to take some of the unpaved roads with a little bit more agility than with the Le Mans.

The Stelvio, is much more a mastodon than the Quota. When I went to MPH last week, there was one Stelvio waiting on maintenance; I set the Quota close to it, and the difference in size is flagrant.

I still think the Stelvio is a better choice as a do it all.

On 2/19/2024 at 11:22 PM, activpop said:

Somebody likes red...

I don't know, maybe....:huh2:

DSC_0803.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I am running Avon Trail Riders on mine, probably more of a 90/10 tire, but I am looking for a slightly more off road tire, just to offset my lesser off road skills.

I love my Quota, a knee injury (from my V11 wreck) is why I found a Quota, my right knee just doesn't bend like it used too. Very comfortable and upright, it makes a good sport touring machine. I'm 6'2" and am very comfortable on it.

I'm interested to know if yours has the 4k rpm switch, engine power and smoothness is much better when at 4k rpm or above.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2024 at 3:04 PM, HRC_V4 said:

I'm interested to know if yours has the 4k rpm switch, engine power and smoothness is much better when at 4k rpm or above.

My rejuvenated Tachometer and Speedometer are coming back from Germany this week.

Once it is back together, I will be using it to do the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas stops.

• Like 3