My V11 seemed to run perfectly on 87 Octanes (Regular) gas rating... strange?

p6x

25 minutes ago, p6x said:

@docc

Look page 9 of this manual: https://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/owners_manual_quota_1100.pdf

Remember that Italy kept selling leaded gasoline quoted SP97 for Super 97 NO could mean "numero di ottano"; this Quota operator's manual looks like an excel spreadsheet converted to PDF.

We get to the same conclusion: 95 NO is the minimum of Octanes for leadless fuels. Equates to 91 AKI.

All the questions you have are valid, but where to get the answers?

Perhaps I am wrong that the Quota and "EV" V11 could run reliably on US "Regular Gas" (87 octane AKI). 

I will research my collection of Moto Guzzi Sales Brochures to see where the claimed compression ratio may have changed.  Whether that coincided with the oil sprayer change, and how these things were accomplished, could only be divined by our members that have that "inside information" from being certified Moto Guzzi technicians at that time, or others that have had these various V11 (Sport/LeMans) motors apart . . .

• Like 1

I have mentioned this before, I will mention it again. The air density affects the octane requirements of any non-forced induction gasoline piston engine. As air density goes down, octane requirements go down. So, at higher elevations a given motor will have lower octane requirements. I have been to some higher altitude places where the fuel available was 85 octane. That isn't even an option where I live. People riding their V11 closer to sea level will need more octane then people riding their V11 in the Rockies will.

I figure the generic octane requirements published are likely to be worst case, higher air density, higher engine temps, etc.  The wife's V11 manual says 91 octane (95 RON), but I have no doubt it could safely run on 89 or even 87 octane in many situations. But I am also pretty sure in some situations that lower octane could be an issue. Safer and easier to run it at the higher octane.

• Like 1

@GuzziMoto

Agreed re the air density variations affecting combustion. Temperatures as well. Humidity. Everything comes into play.

Ethylene addition affects it too.

The V11 was produced up until 2005. All the recommendations made by Guzzi at that time did not factor Ethylene in gas, as it was not yet compulsory.

From 2000, in Europe, the transition to leadless fuels started. If anything there wasn't a clear vision of fuel evolution. Even today, it is a bit of a mash up. 5% Ethanol, 10% Ethanol, up to 15% Ethanol, 85% Ethanol. Ethanol free...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, p6x said:

Ethylene addition affects it too.

Just for clarification - Ethylene and Ethanol(Ethyl Alcohol) are two different things. The former being an hydrocarbon gas and the latter an organic compound liquid. Only Ethanol is used in gasoline.

2 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

Just for clarification - Ethylene and Ethanol(Ethyl Alcohol) are two different things. The former being an hydrocarbon gas and the latter an organic compound liquid. Only Ethanol is used in gasoline.

Sorry....

Of course you are right. Mix up.... I meant Ethanol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

3 minutes ago, p6x said:

Sorry....

Of course you are right. Mix up.... I meant Ethanol.

Meme save:

ethylene  =  :moon:

ethanol   =  :drink:

• Haha 2

To close this topic, I am able to confirm that my V11's fuel of choice is NOT US 87 Octane + up to 10% ethANOL....

I filled up with regular gas (87 Octanes ((Ron+Mon)/2) and while it runs fine, if you drop a gear and turn the throttle, you can clearly hear the knocks.

Conclusion: yes, in an emergency situation, you can run 87 Octanes. As long as you stay gentle on the gas.

By the way, Ethanol free gas is 87 Octanes in Texas. @PJPR01 not enough Octanes.

In today's 111 deg F (felt temperature), the engine was misfiring a lot. 87 or 93 Octanes does not make any difference. Even at low rpm, up to 3500, plenty of misfires.

The engine only run smoothly from 4000 onward.

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, p6x said:

To close this topic, I am able to confirm that my V11's fuel of choice is NOT US 87 Octane + up to 10% ethANOL....

I filled up with regular gas (87 Octanes ((Ron+Mon)/2) and while it runs fine, if you drop a gear and turn the throttle, you can clearly hear the knocks.

Conclusion: yes, in an emergency situation, you can run 87 Octanes. As long as you stay gentle on the gas.

By the way, Ethanol free gas is 87 Octanes in Texas. @PJPR01 not enough Octanes.

In today's 111 deg F (felt temperature), the engine was misfiring a lot. 87 or 93 Octanes does not make any difference. Even at low rpm, up to 3500, plenty of misfires.

The engine only run smoothly from 4000 onward.

I bet you filled up at Buc-ee's   ;)

7 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I bet you filled up at Buc-ee's   ;)

Bingo!

I did, for reason though.

The dealer where I usually go, https://www.rideironsupply.com/, is one exit before Buc-ee's Katy.

I usually get my gas at Costco; but I wanted to make some room in my tank to get as much as possible 93 to blend with the 87.

Other than that, Buc-ee's is not really super welcoming for motorcyclists. They purposely have no seating area.

12 hours ago, p6x said:

Bingo!

I did, for reason though.

The dealer where I usually go, https://www.rideironsupply.com/, is one exit before Buc-ee's Katy.

I usually get my gas at Costco; but I wanted to make some room in my tank to get as much as possible 93 to blend with the 87.

Other than that, Buc-ee's is not really super welcoming for motorcyclists. They purposely have no seating area.

The first time I went to Buc-ee's for a fill up on my way from Houston, my mileage went down immediately.  I'm no expert whether they can put filler or air in their gas volume but something ain't quite right.  I don't like walking three blocks to the bathroom either. bigger isn't better.  

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

The first time I went to Buc-ee's for a fill up on my way from Houston, my mileage went down immediately.  I'm no expert whether they can put filler or air in their gas volume but something ain't quite right.  I don't like walking three blocks to the bathroom either. bigger isn't better.  

One of the major attraction the beaver has over other stopping places, including Texan, is the cleanliness of the bathrooms. They literally have someone there all the time, cleaning; they have hot water which helps to clean visors.

This makes a big difference to a lot of people.

As for their gas quality, I think I remember a study comparing brand less gas, such as Costco and similar, and the result was Buc-ee's' gas is good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, p6x said:

One of the major attraction the beaver has over other stopping places, including Texan, is the cleanliness of the bathrooms. They literally have someone there all the time, cleaning; they have hot water which helps to clean visors.

This makes a big difference to a lot of people.

As for their gas quality, I think I remember a study comparing brand less gas, such as Costco and similar, and the result was Buc-ee's' gas is good.

They might have magic bathrooms but I'd rather not walk three blocks to get there.  Hot water you say?  

Anyway two posts here question the quality of their gas.  

I'm not saying I wouldn't stop there, I'm saying I'd probably go anywhere else first, even risking have to wash in cold water.   

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

I'm saying I'd probably go anywhere else first, even risking have to wash in cold water.   

I'm not likely to ever have to make the choice. However, going by that video (what on earth did that brainless girl think she was producing?) I think I would also go anywhere else first. To the extent of walking a mile in these shoes with a canister in my hand to get the fuel from somewhere else. B)