My V11 seemed to run perfectly on 87 Octanes (Regular) gas rating... strange?

p6x

Alles klar, schon verstanden. B)

A bloke in Australia had a visitor. The Australian bloke  did the right thing and showed his visitor around, as one does. The visitor was from Texas.

They went out in to the countryside, and the Australian explained that the farms here were fairly large. The Texan said "oh, right, you should see how big the ranches in Texas are."

The Australian pointed out the cattle, and how well they were adjusted to the environment in Australia. The Texan said "yeah, nice. You should see how big the horns are on our cattle".

And so it went on....

Eventually, they were driving down a back road looking at the landscape and the bush, and a Kangaroo came bounding across their path.

"Goddamm" said the Texan, "what in the hell was that?".

"Oh, " said the Australian, "that's a native mouse".

:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

I'm not likely to ever have to make the choice. However, going by that video (what on earth did that brainless girl think she was producing?) I think I would also go anywhere else first. To the extent of walking a mile in these shoes with a canister in my hand to get the fuel from somewhere else. B)

It is difficult to understand what Buc-ee's represents if you don't live in Texas. I think one has to visit one to get it all. The concept seems to be expending as there are copycats, and Buc-ee's itself is already expending beyond Texas.

I suggest that you read this article from Houston's newspaper, the Houston Chronicle. The study was conducted by "GasBuddy".

My #1 gripe as a motorcyclist is they have no rest area dedicated to us. I do not purchase food from them, although they have a kitchen, but I would not mind sitting at a table to drink my coffee, rather than on my motorcycle. Especially when the sun is hammering as it does now.

During vacation times, I have observed traffic issues going in or coming out; they are victim of their popularity.

3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

They might have magic bathrooms but I'd rather not walk three blocks to get there.  Hot water you say?  

Anyway two posts here question the quality of their gas.  

I'm not saying I wouldn't stop there, I'm saying I'd probably go anywhere else first, even risking have to wash in cold water.   

For the sake of being thorough, I did a little search on what are the qualifiers for the best gasoline in this country. Consumer Reports is citing a study carried out by AAA. I let you read it, but as it turns out, the best gasoline, named "Top Tier" are those with special additives. As I had dealings with Chevron, I know they have an additive named "Techron" which helps in keeping your valves from carbon deposits.

If you peruse the list of Top Tier brands, Buc-ee's in not in it. Costco and Kirkland are.

I searched to find out who is the supplier of gas to Buc-ee's, but I did not find that information. The closest I got was on a forum, where that question was asked, and someone claiming to have been a former Buc-ee's employee in Wharton said: various suppliers.

It makes sense; Top Tier brands would not supply Buc-ee's without their brand showing. Buc-ee's is probably purchasing batches of gasoline from several of those refineries around Houston.

Possibly, Buc-ee's gas is as cheap as it could be, so no additive. I think this is the extent of how good or how bad we can say it is. There probably is a minimum recipe imposed by the federal government on what can be called Gasoline. Their "Premium" should be named "Super", and not "Premium". But at least it is 93 Octanes (Ron+Mon)/2.

Halon, which is another brand not on the Top Tier list, has Premium 90 Octanes (Ron+Mon)/2. However, we don't know why Halon is not on the list, since the AAA test was conducted on brands that agreed to participate. Same for Buc-ee's.

To conclude, I have had the opportunity to work in plenty of developing countries, including Africa. Driving 40 years old cars, and using whatever gas was available. Land Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser and other Isuzu. I only once had an issue with a diesel engine powered car, because the diesel had too much water in it.

But I could never really determine the quality of the fuel I pumped.

It remains true today too. I stop when I need fuel. Love's too...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My brother is a fuel tanker driver here in Australia. An interesting fact he made me aware of. The way some of the cheap independent fuel outlets get the cost down is by selling what the industry referrers to as "interstage" fuel. There is a single pipeline running from the Newcastle to the Sydney holding/distribution centre from where it is trucked to the retailers. The same pipe carries all the various fuels including diesel and 91-98 Octane. When they switch over from one type to another it's simply done without flushing the pipeline or anything like that but there is a calculated mixture of one type with another before the latest type comes out the other end 100% undiluted by the previous fuel. Interstage fuel. Sold cheap to the bottom end retailers. I've never been to one of those outlets since.

Phil 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

My brother is a fuel tanker driver here in Australia. An interesting fact he made me aware of. The way some of the cheap independent fuel outlets get the cost down is by selling what the industry referrers to as "interstage" fuel. There is a single pipeline running from the Newcastle to the Sydney holding/distribution centre from where it is trucked to the retailers. The same pipe carries all the various fuels including diesel and 91-98 Octane. When they switch over from one type to another it's simply done without flushing the pipeline or anything like that but there is a calculated mixture of one type with another before the latest type comes out the other end 100% undiluted by the previous fuel. Interstage fuel. Sold cheap to the bottom end retailers. I've never been to one of those outlets since.

Phil 

Interesting!

Thanks for that mate.

I've always avoided them and will continue to do so....

Cheers  

@p6x  Top Tier gas is listed on the pump, if the store carries it.  

I find is laugh out loud funny that Buc-ee's, the greatest and biggest new thing out of Texas, doesn't even offer it.  OTOH, I seldom care about paying for Top Tier although, I try to buy the best gas for the bikes but the cheapest for my cars.  So far as Buc-ee's, I really wanted to stop at one since they opened in Texas 5 years ago and did so at the first chance.  Like I said, I was put off by the sheer size having to walk so far just to get the building and noticed a big hit on my gas mileage.  IIRC the gas isn't cheap either.  IMO just a marketing rip off.

So long as I'm on a rant, I'll make another point regarding small rural gas stations closing and these large convenience store - mega gas stations taking over.  Folks out in the country might have go 30 miles to the nearest gas station.  I can imagine that we'll see an increasing demand for EVs in these places, particularly when more local stations close down.  For rural folks, getting gas will be like finding the closest WalMart.

We used to have two gas stations in town where I live. Now there is just one. Sure, there are other stations 15 to 20 minutes away, but only one local station in town. I realize my scale of distances is nothing like what it is out west, though.

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

@p6x  Top Tier gas is listed on the pump, if the store carries it.  

So long as I'm on a rant, I'll make another point regarding small rural gas stations closing and these large convenience store - mega gas stations taking over.  Folks out in the country might have go 30 miles to the nearest gas station.  I can imagine that we'll see an increasing demand for EVs in these places, particularly when more local stations close down.  For rural folks, getting gas will be like finding the closest WalMart.

This is certainly an issue. But I am confident there will be locations were the beaver and his acolytes will never set paw.

On my third consecutive year of Texas touring, I have observed how Gas Stations in small towns have the same purpose as small cafés back in the 60's.

The beaver is impersonal and business only. It is going to work in places with major transit. Similar to what you have on European highways. I would dare to say the concept is older than Buc-ee's. These European gas stations offer regional and local products, places to rest, to eat. Plenty of amenities: free air refill, free water, limited mechanical assistance... at Buc-ee's, you find none of that.

Buc-ee's is only interested in getting you out of dodge once you purchased something. They lure you in with their glittering bathroom, but it works.

Small towns like to mingle while they have breakfast. Buc-ee's only has commercial smiles to offer. They are not going to set business in Terlingua.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, p6x said:

This is certainly an issue. But I am confident there will be locations were the beaver and his acolytes will never set paw.

On my third consecutive year of Texas touring, I have observed how Gas Stations in small towns have the same purpose as small cafés back in the 60's.

The beaver is impersonal and business only. It is going to work in places with major transit. Similar to what you have on European highways. I would dare to say the concept is older than Buc-ee's. These European gas stations offer regional and local products, places to rest, to eat. Plenty of amenities: free air refill, free water, limited mechanical assistance... at Buc-ee's, you find none of that.

Buc-ee's is only interested in getting you out of dodge once you purchased something. They lure you in with their glittering bathroom, but it works.

Small towns like to mingle while they have breakfast. Buc-ee's only has commercial smiles to offer. They are not going to set business in Terlingua.

So far the great travel stops I've encountered in Europe, with the great foods, cafeterias  and selections, Buc-ee's wouldn't even touch a Euro McDonalds.   Someone said they don't even tables and chairs.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Noodling around our rural countryside, I routinely watch for "country stores" with gas pumps. Preferring to fuel at high turnover, branded stations, I rarely fuel at these small stores.

Their grand value is the lady in the kitchen who cares that no one goes hungry and the friendly, engaging folk that both work there and the patrons. 

Confidence is extra when the parking lot is jammed with work trucks and farm vehicles. . .

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

We used to have two gas stations in town where I live. Now there is just one. Sure, there are other stations 15 to 20 minutes away, but only one local station in town. I realize my scale of distances is nothing like what it is out west, though.

Factor in desertification; all over the world, people tend to regroup in larger cities; small towns are slowly losing their population.

This year, in France, small villages have actually gone out their way to bring in Ukrainian families in for a reboot.

I would love to go live in the middle of nowhere; cities are now bursting at the seams.....

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 8:09 PM, p6x said:

To close this topic, I am able to confirm that my V11's fuel of choice is NOT US 87 Octane + up to 10% ethANOL....

I filled up with regular gas (87 Octanes ((Ron+Mon)/2) and while it runs fine, if you drop a gear and turn the throttle, you can clearly hear the knocks.

Conclusion: yes, in an emergency situation, you can run 87 Octanes. As long as you stay gentle on the gas.

By the way, Ethanol free gas is 87 Octanes in Texas. @PJPR01 not enough Octanes.

In today's 111 deg F (felt temperature), the engine was misfiring a lot. 87 or 93 Octanes does not make any difference. Even at low rpm, up to 3500, plenty of misfires.

The engine only run smoothly from 4000 onward.

Hi P6x…the ethanol free gas at Bucees in Hempstead on 290 at FM362 is 92 octane…always been good quality with no issues.  I’ve had bad premium gas from small stations a couple of times only …once in Sedan, Kansas after leaving the Cedar Vale rally and once in Utah near Vernal.  Both times I used a gas treatment and the problem was solved…

IMG_9320.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Hi P6x…the ethanol free gas at Bucees in Hempstead on 290 at FM362 is 92 octane…always been good quality with no issues.  I’ve had bad premium gas from small stations a couple of times only …once in Sedan, Kansas after leaving the Cedar Vale rally and once in Utah near Vernal.  Both times I used a gas treatment and the problem was solved…

IMG_9320.jpeg

Interesting;

The Federal recommendation, if I am not wrong, is for Premium fuel to be minimum 91 Octanes (R+M/2), usually max being 93 (R+M/2).

This reinforces the idea that Buc-ee's purchases fuel from various suppliers. The photo below is from 2022.

90 Octanes (R+M/2). 87 Octanes (R+M/2) on Buc-ee's at Katy.

IMG_0451

• Like 1
  • Sad 1