Bike suggestions for rider getting back into it.

I have my own opinions, but would value yours. I have a friend who wants to get back on a bike again after a 25 year lay off. He wants a Guzzi, but I suggested he could entertain other makes also for his first one. I'm not ruling a Moto Guzzi out though. What models would be a good bet for him, either new or used? Price won't really be an issue. I will rule out most ADV bikes because of seat height, weight and higher center of gravity. He is not tall but is inclined to buy something more unique. There are plenty of used bikes to choose from, that's for sure.

• activpop changed the title to Bike suggestions for rider getting back into it.

I can only imagine this scenario with one of my own friends. That said, if he wants a Guzzi, get a new, small block. I would caveat to him, "you should buy something you can resell, possibly within a year". Given that advice, I'd recommend a Triumph twin over a Guzzi. Because, it's a great 'standard', with a larger dealer network and community.

• Like 3

That sounds like me years ago. I started by getting helmet jacket & gloves so I could test ride a few bikes. I have a maintenance background, so a second hand bike in need of TLC was OK.

I rode a few bikes that were fine, but none had the appeal of the V11. A Bonneville was good, but not exciting. A Yamaha R6 was exciting, but didn't stir my soul. I think your friend should try lots of bikes. 

• Like 3

A great beginning, without having to already own a bike, is to take a local Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Beginner's Rider Course. A weekend course, typically, with some classroom, but a lot of "range time" performing specific skill exercises on a 250cc bike (usually various models to choose from). The course culminates with a riding evaluation and many states accept the completion certificate for a motorcycle license (varies by state).

They offer a range intensive Experienced Rider's Course that is perfect to come back on the new rider's bike of choice.

• Like 4

If it is to be a commodity bike, any Honda will do and likely has the best resale. It is best to be passionate, to focus on the perfect moments, be capable of performing maintenance and have something in your wallet to own a Guzzi. There are many prior Guzzi owners. How much passion does your friend have to invest?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, activpop said:

I have my own opinions, but would value yours. I have a friend who wants to get back on a bike again after a 25 year lay off. He wants a Guzzi, but I suggested he could entertain other makes also for his first one. I'm not ruling a Moto Guzzi out though. What models would be a good bet for him, either new or used? Price won't really be an issue. I will rule out most ADV bikes because of seat height, weight and higher center of gravity. He is not tall but is inclined to buy something more unique. There are plenty of used bikes to choose from, that's for sure.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but this every day of the week.

image.png

image.png

Phil

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, po18guy said:

If it is to be a commodity bike, any Honda will do and likely has the best resale. It is best to be passionate, to focus on the perfect moments, be capable of performing maintenance and have something in your wallet to own a Guzzi. There are many prior Guzzi owners. How much passion does your friend have to invest?

He wants something that that stirs the soul. He saw my bikes and would love to have one of them, a V11. He will ultimately make the choice, but docc's suggestion I like best from a safety point of view for a guy getting back into it. I want him to be prepared as possible for the current breed of drivers out there and to reset all that needs to be reset.  After all, I'm going to be known as the guy who got him riding again, and I have no clue what his family thinks of this. But that is not to lessen all the other comments. All are great!  When you are brainstorming, no idea is a bad idea.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but this every day of the week.

image.png

image.png

Phil

Ok Phil, maybe I never heard that record. Could you tell me more?

• Like 1

Without a refresher course, it is best to crash a Honda than a Guzzi. However, one of the smaller Guzzis is an excellent idea, as the V11s tend to be rather large dance partners. If he has ridden 1000cc and above, the weight might not bother him.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, activpop said:

Ok Phil, maybe I never heard that record. Could you tell me more?

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. Incredible value to buy, good quality, modest but adequate power, zero vibration 650cc fuel injected parallel twin with balance shaft, easy home maintenance, ABS both wheels, spare parts very cost effective and fast to get (example $350 usd for a new painted fuel tank shipped to your door) With aftermarket Stainless mufflers shown ( $350usd) 205KG and low C of G. Lots of aftermarket stuff available.

I decided I'd like to use black front and rear guards instead of the standard silver so I purchased a set of new genuine RE front and rear guards from India. I had them in 10 days for a cost of $65usd delivered. Cheaper than painting them. Have a silly garage tip over and damage stuff? Well no grief to the hip pocket there. A brand new instrument set is around $125usd from memory. Delivered of course. have the same thing with your new Ducati or Guzzi and you'll be at the bank re mortgaging the house.

Can't go wrong.

Phil   

• Like 4
17 hours ago, activpop said:

I can share my own experience, since I stopped being a motorcycle owner at the end of 1991; I resumed riding when I purchased my V11 Le Mans in December 2020. Now, I did rent bikes along the time, but it is not exactly the same as owning and being able to ride as you wish.

Your friend should first and foremost go for the bike he wants to ride ultimately. The one that is going to bring a smile to his face each time he thinks about his next venture on it.

There are no other considerations to be taken.

Getting a bike to get back in the saddle is not a proper reason. I will explain the rationale latter.

What I did, is to take a safety course, so I could verify my ability to handle the motorcycle. However, it was not a real trial by fire, since the motorcycles we used were small 125cc bikes, which did not present any challenge for someone who has ridden before.

In April 2021, I went to Pensacola to get the Le Mans; the plan was to bring it back riding. An easy ride on I-10.

I am not going to lie, I had a little apprehension as I exited the parking lot. The few traffic light stops before I-10 got me right back in, and I was easily cruising the highway when I suddenly realized the odometer did not increment. I then proceeded back to the dealership and left them the V11 to be sent to me, as I did not want to ride home not knowing if the low fuel light would come at all, having lost trust with the dealership who had previously ensured me the bike could be ridden back to H'town.

Bottom line? once you have ridden a bicycle, you will always be able to pick up where you left off. The only difference is your physical aptitude. This is what you need to ascertain and find out. When I mean physical aptitude, I mean strength; muscles; shear force!

The only exception to not buying the bike you really want, is that you are NOT certain you will enjoy riding again. An analogy is when your kid comes and says he wants to play guitar. You buy him a cheap one first, because you don't know if he will drop it after a few strums, like he did with all that he tried before.

A few three thousand miles on his dream Guzzi will put him right back into it! trust me!

• Like 2

To the subject, Suzuki SV650, plenty around.   Any of the new 600-700 parallel twins if you don't wanna go used.  Of course that's advice for a younger first time rider that might have trouble balancing a heavier machine, not so much from a strength perspective so much as experience and balance. 

For someone getting back in it, any bike he wants.  Just tell him, if you drop it, it might get expensive.  Most important thing is coaching.  LEARN TO USE BOTH BRAKES.  Practice some emergency stops, do some slalom turns in parking lots learning to make quick lefts and rights.  Get feel for balance and turning.

• Like 2