Bike suggestions for rider getting back into it.

That six sylinder Benelli woud be the correct bike to get back on, just lissen  :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I agree with getting re-educated first, and properly licensed.

The way to try a lot of bikes is to sign up for Riders Share, and rent from private owners. That way, he can go on extended test rides and really see what he likes.

• Like 3

Additional motorcycle riding course is indeed very important. I do think this is most effective if you have just the experience to automatically  control your bike and you have the basic feeling for brakes and leaning into an average corner.

The small block Guzzi's imho are easy to control, have a low seating position, ABS and nicely made. They have acceptable maintenance. For new riders and restarted, I would wish they don't have worries about the reliability and little things that bother the concentration.

Anyway, I wish him a lot of pleasure.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Scud said:

I agree with getting re-educated first, and properly licensed.

The way to try a lot of bikes is to sign up for Riders Share, and rent from private owners. That way, he can go on extended test rides and really see what he likes.

Interesting...never knew of that. I might want to check that out myself. Seems to be some nice bikes available to try out.

On 12/30/2023 at 8:33 PM, activpop said:

...Price won't really be an issue....

So resale is probably not a crucial point, I expect.

I'd go straight for Guzzi, if that's what he wants. But not straight to a V11. As has already been suggested, a small-block V7 would be a good way to ease back into it. Or a Breva 750. I've got one of those. A bit ugly, but cheap.

I always advise beginners to not buy the dream bike straight away, but rather to ride something that doesn't mean so much to them for a while first, on the assumption the the first bike is almost certainly going to fall over somewhere along the way.

For a bloke getting back into it who is interested in a Guzzi and doesn't need to count the pennies, a 750 small-block would be an easy to handle bike to get back into the routine. If it does happen to fall over, it would not be so tragic as chucking away a nice V11. If it doesn't, it could be re-sold, or retained as a run-around to spare the dream bike from the run to the supermarket. :huh2:

PS: the Breva, and even the V35 Imola, feel just like a big guzzi to ride, just lighter and a bit easier to handle. And less power... B)

• Like 3

I was in the same boat years ago when I was returning to the fold...

Pretty sure I wanted a Guzzi but had the money to go with whatever I wanted (within reason), so in the end a couple of things influenced my decision.

My wife decided she didn't want to ride pillion so that meant I can go with whatever...and I had every intention of test riding bikes that intrigued me.

Ducati Monster Triumph Speed Triple etc.

BUT before I could do so a certain Green V11 Sport popped up.

Ha ha, a few mates had also told me to go with the heart when making the decision too.

Well originally the colour of the V11 put me off (it wasn't mentioned in the ad and I can actually remember asking the shop on the phone about it...It's not that lurid Green one is it...)  but as soon as I fired her up the heart was a goner and yep the salesman was right in that the colour grows on you!

I love it and don't regret it for a second.

Guzzi's are a long term commitment that get better and better the longer you own one..

So my advice is to...

GO WITH YOUR HEART.

Cheers  

• Like 3
6 hours ago, guzzler said:

I was in the same boat years ago when I was returning to the fold...

Pretty sure I wanted a Guzzi but had the money to go with whatever I wanted (within reason), so in the end a couple of things influenced my decision.

My wife decided she didn't want to ride pillion so that meant I can go with whatever...and I had every intention of test riding bikes that intrigued me.

Ducati Monster Triumph Speed Triple etc.

BUT before I could do so a certain Green V11 Sport popped up.

Ha ha, a few mates had also told me to go with the heart when making the decision too.

Well originally the colour of the V11 put me off (it wasn't mentioned in the ad and I can actually remember asking the shop on the phone about it...It's not that lurid Green one is it...)  but as soon as I fired her up the heart was a goner and yep the salesman was right in that the colour grows on you!

I love it and don't regret it for a second.

Guzzi's are a long term commitment that get better and better the longer you own one..

So my advice is to...

GO WITH YOUR HEART.

Cheers  

In this situation I'm the exact opposite. I well remember the glut of second hand Ducatis around Melbourne in the late 90's and early 2000's from people that fell in love with the big Ducati sports bikes until the first major service bill was shown to them. Then it was on the market and the head made the next decision. The heart decision is fine when you're young and malleable and adaptable and can live with massive compromises but you lose all that and get some insight/wisdom as you get older. The last bike I'm going to buy these days is a Sports bike I'm afraid and if I was in the "returning to the fold" position I'd go for the rational decision not the heart. There's time for the emotional decision after you've got back into it and can asses the extent of your new passion with some recent experience under your belt. So light weight, value for money, economical replaceable parts for the inevitable minor oopsies at the start, not to much power, easy to service and reliable. My advice.

Phil 

• Like 5

I have to say, I'm more of Guzzler's opinion. Sure, you get more cautious with maturity. On the other hand, I've hit the point where I have started thinking "if not now, when?". That is where "go with the heart" becomes important.

And that is why I bought a V11. B)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, guzzler said:

Each to their own I guess....

45 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I have to say, I'm more of Guzzler's opinion. Sure, you get more cautious with maturity. On the other hand, I've hit the point where I have started thinking "if not now, when?". That is where "go with the heart" becomes important.

And that is why I bought a V11. B)

I know my rational side quite well. If I hadn't followed passion, I would not be a Guzzi owner. :mg: My independent nature also played a part.:ph34r:

• Like 3

I have mySport because myWife said I should.

One should not quibble with these sorts of directives . . . :grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Full disclosure: I did not start motorcycling until age 35.

First bike: 500cc single cylinder Honda (still in the fold). My local Honda dealer said, "You'll be bored in six months ."

Indeed so. :huh:

I bought an 800cc Honda twin (Pacific Coast). It served me well. For a few years, until I "needed" a "liter bike."

Which launched the slippery slope . . .

• Like 2

For a first bike , get a Japanese bike . It is safe , no maintenance and no troubles . What you get is a "safe" bike. After you have it for a while then go to a more personal bike with character or a personality . 

• Like 2

With the first bike there is no electronics , hydraulics , mechanical or pneumatics degrees or aircraft maintenance background necessary. Just live in The Truman Show for a while , then bust out !

• Haha 1