What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

This guy, Matteo Mancuso introduced a new left hand technique; he has been noticed by those guitar players which have notoriety, such as Steve Vai.

In this song, played the Van Halen way, he demonstrates how he uses his left hand fingers to achieve his peculiar style. The tapping is not part of it.

The technique could be assimilated to what Bass guitar players do (those that don't use a pick). He plucks the strings from above. Not to be mistaken with the hybrid picking country players favor, using a pick to pluck the bass strings and three remaining fingers to pluck, but not from above, from underneath the strings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a favorite country picker of mine Johnny Highland to illustrate the technique difference with Matteo Mancuso.

Check Johnny's right hand. He holds a pick with his thumb and major fingers, and claw the rest of the strings with index, ring and annular fingers. Some pickers have a thumb pick which does not require a second finger to lock it, so they can use four fingers for the picking. When he solos, he continues to use hybrid picking for speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, p6x said:

This guy, Matteo Mancuso introduced a new left hand technique; he has been noticed by those guitar players which have notoriety, such as Steve Vai.

In this song, played the Van Halen way, he demonstrates how he uses his left hand fingers to achieve his peculiar style. The tapping is not part of it. . . .

Very interesting!

You surely meant his right hand (or plucking hand)...!? :blink:  

• Like 2

I think what's old is new again; Off the top of my head I couldn't name them,but many of the old blues masters had similar string snapping & back sweeping with their plucking hand,albeit at a much slower tempo,,,

Reminds me of the old bluesman; "if you slowed down & left a little space between the notes,,,some music might fall out" 

:rasta:

Mark Knopfler does some interesting things with his picking/snapping right hand,,,

So does Ben Harper,but he's usually playing a version of a lap steel.

On 12/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, Speedfrog said:

You surely meant his right hand (or plucking hand)...!? :blink:

Yes, I did....

Can't seem to distinguish my left from my right lately...:huh2:

• Haha 1
On 12/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, audiomick said:

I'm not convinced he invented any new techniques. What he is doing with his right hand looks like pretty much what classical guitarists do, just not as relaxed. :huh2:

His right finger technique seems to be similar to classical or flamenco however, he plucks the strings from above more than from under. This is what appears to be the real innovation. He also uses his right-hand fingers to hit the strings like the hammer on the piano.

If you look at Ana Vidovic, which is a picture-perfect illustration of the classical technique on the acoustic guitar, down to the right-hand position, you can visualize the "claw" way; she pulls the strings sideways from down up, using the bawl of her fingers to pluck from underneath.

His technique seems to be hybrid.

• Thanks 1
On 12/8/2023 at 7:38 PM, 80CX100 said:

I think what's old is new again; Off the top of my head I couldn't name them,but many of the old blues masters had similar string snapping & back sweeping with their plucking hand,albeit at a much slower tempo,,,

Reminds me of the old bluesman; "if you slowed down & left a little space between the notes,,,some music might fall out" 

:rasta:

Mark Knopfler does some interesting things with his picking/snapping right hand,,,

So does Ben Harper,but he's usually playing a version of a lap steel.

I think his way of playing the guitar has been recognized as innovative.

Mark Knopfler and Jeff Beck just to name two used only their fingers to play guitar, but in a much different way.

I chose his Van Halen cover of You really got me, but he does his own stuff too.

• Like 1