What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

On 8/17/2023 at 5:37 PM, audiomick said:

Indeed. Your method sounds like it could work. What doesn't help is the rubber bit on mine is already deformed from being clamped in crooked.

I've only recently begun using Shin-Etsu grease on all things rubber;but I've already worked magic with it a few times.

The 16 yr old rubber battery holder on my Griso (which is a pita design on it's best day),was bent so badly out of shape & stiff & dry,I thought I might not be able to salvage it. Liberal amount of Shin-Etsu worked into the rubber with a tooth brush,gentle application of heat (hot air gun) and pressure applied in the right spots once the rubber loosened up & held correctly as it cooled down. 

It looked almost brand new when I was finished.

fwiw  

:2c:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

At least you remembered, even if a little late. :huh:

Yep.  The spacer is in the shed as it measured up at 112.3mm- so making a shim for it.  Gonna have to smash out a new bearing 😠

On 9/7/2023 at 11:08 PM, 80CX100 said:

I've only recently begun using Shin-Etsu grease on all things rubber;but I've already worked magic with it a few times.

The 16 yr old rubber battery holder on my Griso (which is a pita design on it's best day),was bent so badly out of shape & stiff & dry,I thought I might not be able to salvage it. Liberal amount of Shin-Etsu worked into the rubber with a tooth brush,gentle application of heat (hot air gun) and pressure applied in the right spots once the rubber loosened up & held correctly as it cooled down. 

It looked almost brand new when I was finished.

fwiw  

:2c:

Can you post a pic of this stuff ? I want to be sure I am going to get the right stuff .

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

Can you post a pic of this stuff ? I want to be sure I am going to get the right stuff .

I tried to find Shin-Etsu silicon grease from many different sources but was unsuccessful;it seems that Honda has a lock on the supply.

It's listed on Amazon & other places but apparently unavailable. It can be confusing because sometimes the product description has a photo of the tube & sometimes a photo of the box the tube comes in.

As per Docc's post & info above; I just placed a call to my local Honda Motorcycle/Auto Parts dealer,gave him the Honda part # 08798-9013 and had the grease within a couple of days.

Honda Genuine 08798-9013 Silicone Grease "Shin-Etsu"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I tried to find Shin-Etsu silicon grease from many different sources but was unsuccessful;it seems that Honda has a lock on the supply.

It's listed on Amazon & other places but apparently unavailable. It can be confusing because sometimes the product description has a photo of the tube & sometimes a photo of the box the tube comes in.

As per Docc's post & info above; I just placed a call to my local Honda Motorcycle/Auto Parts dealer,gave him the Honda part # 08798-9013 and had the grease within a couple of days.

Honda Genuine 08798-9013 Silicone Grease "Shin-Etsu"

I bought this 3 days ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GD49GTS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

This week-end was supposed to be the one when I would complete my Texas Tour stops;

However, we had heavy thunderstorms predicted to take place over most of Texas, so I decided to delay.

Nevertheless, yesterday I opted to have lunch in Brenham: I said bring it down! It did not disappoint. I got there completely drenched!

The Le Mans loved it though....

Guzzi V11 stuck in the rain in Brenham

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, p6x said:

This week-end was supposed to be the one when I would complete my Texas Tour stops;

However, we had heavy thunderstorms predicted to take place over most of Texas, so I decided to delay.

Nevertheless, yesterday I opted to have lunch in Brenham: I said bring it down! It did not disappoint. I got there completely drenched!

The Le Mans loved it though....

Guzzi V11 stuck in the rain in Brenham

You Texans are crazy.  Up here in rain country riding in the rain is often a necessity, but don’t think I’ve ever said “ah what the heck, i could drive, or ride a bike with a big windscreen to hide behind, but i think I’ll take the LeMans”.   Good way to stay young?

riding through big rain is one thing, but then getting back on that bike when you’re all wet is another level of “not fun”.  

I’ve had a couple surprise deluge’s in north Texas over the years, when passing through, and one consolation-prize with those thunderstorms was that i went from sweaty-hot, to “drowned rat”, to mostly dry again pretty quick, after exiting the storm into blue sky and hot, dry air.  I don’t suppose you had that advantage on this ride….

In regard to the thread topic, I’m still moaning about lack of time to work on my V11’s, after spending too much time this summer getting my Alaskan KTM back into shape after years of it only getting dealer maintenance.  So many rattles, leaks, and issues i’ve been cursing my way through fixing. Hopefully about done with that so i can get back to messing with Greenie restoration, and chasing down the no-start issues on Goldie.  But Red is running excellent on my rare days of getting her out of the stable.  Going out today for a bit, and not in the rain!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

You Texans are crazy.  Up here in rain country riding in the rain is often a necessity, but don’t think I’ve ever said “ah what the heck, i could drive, or ride a bike with a big windscreen to hide behind, but i think I’ll take the LeMans”.   Good way to stay young?

I think it is a question of mentality.

When I got my first motorcycle, I was 16; then it was the legal age to get your motorcycle driver's license. Today, it is 18.

My bike was my main mode of transportation. Not leisure. I was going to school with it during the week, and spending my week-ends away from home on it too. Rain or shine, winter or summer.... it did not make any difference to me.

Now, compared to the tropical rains we seem to experience each time in Texas, the drizzly cold weathers of my hay days felt easy. My biggest concern when riding storms here, is the lack of visibility. Your visor becomes opaque and grey due to the high density and flow of the water hitting it. You are blind and everything you need to look for is blurry or invisible.

As far as residual wetness, the people at the Pioneer barbecue helped me dry my gear. Obviously, I smelled like brisket the rest of the road back home, but it was good to open up my appetite....

• Like 5

Well not today but yesterday....

After getting home late Friday night ( Holiday ).

Sat was shopping as fridge empty and unpack settle back in etc.

Sunday and Monday chores round the house as want to get some riding in on last week of Annual leave and weather looks good! (for a change).

Bugger, back giving me some grief after the wood cutting (Arthritis / lower back) but this means the bloody lawns will have to wait till that's better!! (not so sure that's much of a silver lining though). 

So... after hearing that the weather will now be turning to crap from Wed thru back to work Monday but possible good weekend a plan was hatched to go and see my mechanic Rob down on the coast and discuss next service and may as well get an oil change whilst there. Funny but a good ride on the bike doesn't do the bad back any harm at all and doesn't detract from the ride!

So off we go....

Weather a lovely/ sunny 18 degrees and no wind.The bike fired right up and ran perfectly.It being a weekday and 9.30am I had the road down to the highway to myself and both of us just flowed along and LOVED IT.

Got there and found a Veyrus (hub steering Ducati powered EXOTICA) was driving him NUTS...Wow incredible looking thing that has given the owner nothing but GRIEF in the 2 years he's owned it!

So, I think he was glad of the distraction!

All sorted and time to head home,temp now in mid- twenties too.

Once again, I had the fun part of the road to myself and both me and bike just flowed along at a nice brisk pace.The Polaroid I was expecting from a few weeks prior never turned up but the paranoia of it still a little fresh ha ha.

All in all, a great wee outing even though it was only 160 odd kays but oh so good for the SOUL.

Cheers 

Ps So glad I did this as weather this morning is wet with a high of 13 degrees.....   

• Like 3

"Alles richtig gemacht" is a saying here. Literally: "Everything right made", and so that it makes sense: "Goodonya, mate, ya done well".  :)

PS: I think it must be "Vyrus", without the "e".

Vyrus 985 C3 4V

Brian Snelson from Hockley, Essex, England, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyrus

all Vyrus models are expensive, with the cheapest models starting from US$60,000.

• Like 1