What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Thought I would try out the simplest muffler mod described on this site. Pulled out all the mesh and put the covers back on. It may be a bit louder, but not much.

The problem is the bike disappears by 4th gear, lots of good stuff going on but no sound track.

IMG_5774_0000.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/1/2023 at 2:42 PM, FreyZI said:

Received mdi CF alternator cover (35% off, supposedly, at $65).  Originally intended for the Tenni, but I'm not blown away by the look of the matte plain weave -- and already have a smorgasbord of different CF on her -- thus, this new CF bit ended up on Bubbles. Definitely looks better than the painted alloy cover, but showcases the dramatic need for a thorough cleaning.  The irony of putting a new part on the parts bike is not lost on me.

20230701_112622.jpg

20230701_121201.jpg

The carbon fiber thing looks great imo!  With mine, I took all the paint off, cleaned it up, primed it and painted it with rattle can VHT Wheel Paint - Ford Argent Silver from the  local auto parts store.  I'm satisfied with it so far.

• Like 3

Discovering things on the new bike.

The low fuel lamp does work. Starts being intermittent around half tank. At 26 mpg I plan on seeing it a lot.

70mph is 62mph according to Garmin. This is adjustable, much like a watch I wouldn't touch. The odometer is right on.

Super fast flashing leds doesn't mean you need to buy an electronic flasher. The existing one had the speed cranked right up.

5 minutes ago, Art said:

70mph is 62mph according to Garmin. This is adjustable, much like a watch I wouldn't touch. The odometer is right on.

I had always been curious how off the speedos are.  I believe you have the same gauges as on the Tenni.  Do you suppose they are all a little different or that they're reasonably consistently off across many units?  What do you suppose 124 is in real world MPH? :helmet:  Anybody ride with a GPS on the bars to compare?

The odometer is geared to the engine and should always be accurate or broken.

The speed needle floats in a magnetic field controlled by a watch spring. Mostly magic. It requires an experts touch to calibrate, which is a bit of a lost skill. Not something you'll get with a $40 replacement.

New units use an electric motor to drive the needle, and are programmable.

I used a Garmin GPS wristwatch to get my comparison.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FreyZI said:

I had always been curious how off the speedos are.

The law here in Germany and in Australia is similar. The speedo is not allowed to show less than the real speed, and the abberation is allowed to be, if I remember correctly, up to 10% above the real speed. I assume that the USA has a similar regulation, because it makes a certain amount of sense.

5 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Anybody ride with a GPS on the bars to compare?

Yes. My V35 Imola shows 120 km/h where the Garmin shows 100 km/h. Doesn't surprise me with 40 year old Veglia instruments. Maybe I'll get it calibrated one day.

The Kawasaki GTR is pretty good. Speedo is very close to the Garmin, but just under. My car, an Opel Astra, shows a couple of km/h less than the Garmin. Indicated 160 km/h is really about 153 km/h, and the difference gets less as speed decreases. Real 50 km/h is indicated 53 km/h or 54 km/h, depending on whether the summer tyres or the winter tyres are mounted.

I haven't checked the V11 Le Mans yet, as I don't have a mount on it for the Garmin yet. Going by the speed of other traffic, it indicates a little over the real speed, but I wouldn't expect anything else. Indicated 100 km/h seems to be pretty close to reality, as I don't get "bothered" by other traffic on country roads.

• Like 1

Yeah, my Lemans speedo indicates 70mph while the Garmin is 64-66mph.  It doesnt bother me.  However, I put a Speed Hut "Speedo Healer" on my Wing because speedo error was an irritant when leading group rides.  The speedo healer allowed me electronically recalibrate the speedo so it is accurate at 70mph.

• Like 2

Nice July 4th day in Northeast Ohio for a ride out to Eddie's Grill in Geneva On The Lake, Ohio on the Lemans.

large.EddiesGrillontheLemans.jpg

• Like 1

Finally zero’ed the CO trim with GuzziDiag. Was set at -40. Runs much better now. First time using GuzziDiag. It’s really useful. Verified engine and air temp sensors were functioning.

• Like 4

No time or priority these days for Goldie (02 lemans), as Red is (lovely) rider, and greenie is on the bench and needs more focused attention.  But i need to run Goldie now and then, and it’s always a problem.  

Last year she’d start, but ran poorly.  Then she wouldn’t start, and i couldn’t hear the fuel pump running, soi finally changed the fuel pump (a few months ago), then the fuel filter (last week), and now the damn starter is just “machine gun” clicking.  Good voltage, and the friend i bought it from a few years ago says he replaced the starter not long ago. 

Will just have to dig in and figure it out.  The old girl doesn’t like sitting, as she was rock-solid reliable when i was riding her regularly some years ago, but along came Red, the apple of my eye, and Goldies been just sitting for last few years, and every time i try and start her and run her something else doesn’t work…

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 4:28 AM, Gmc28 said:

... now the damn starter is just “machine gun” clicking.  ...

I'd be inclined to take the starter apart an have a look inside. I did that with mine recently, and established that it is not that hard. Marty NZ was kind enough to provide links to instructions.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:08 AM, MartyNZ said:

See repair/overhaul advice here:

http://www.largiader.com/tech/valeo/

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/boschvaleostarter.htm

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/valeo-starter-refresh.954653/

You could also search this site for "valeo". You will be going down a well trodden path 

There were early on Valeo Starter Motors in which the magnets came loose and caused the starter motor to jam. Maybe the one that is in yours is one of those. :huh2:

• Thanks 1

Yes enjoying a bit more jassed up V11 today (108hk), same feeling in the right rpm aerea just MORE of it.
Parts on the way for the back to normal front end rake, still riding today. And IPA time.
Cheers Tom. 3e04e6020ba5afb1ec152c06039b8fe9.jpge7f2a02e722b45f51ad60caf58771bb2.jpg

Sent fra min SM-S906B via Tapatalk

• Like 4

She's been bugging me for a little face lift for a while now.  So I finally caved in and gave it a little something to make it "POP".     Now it's my V-11 LeMams/Superveloce .  image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I got my Sport Guzzi tank bag welt reupholstered  today.  Met the guy a few days ago.  He said it was ready.  But he had to redo some of.   I think he was alone and wanted someone to yack for an hour or so while he got it right.

Said he was a Harley rider, crashed and spent some time in coma.  Wore polyester slacks and played classic rock.  Told him he needed to get on Guzzi.  I didn't have the heart to say that he'd fit right in.  But yeah.

Great guy.

I love guys that help me out.  My barber, bike tech, car tech, this guy.   Can't put my doctor among them.  

But you get the drift.  All the good and talented people that get you where you need to be, make you smile and laugh, make life better.   Yeah, he should get a Guzzi.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Skip said:

She's been bugging me for a little face lift for a while now.  So I finally caved in and gave it a little something to make it "POP".     Now it's my V-11 LeMams/Superveloce .  image.jpeg

Very nice Skip. the Superveloce headlight ring does double duty as an homage to early Guzzi LeMans

Restored - 1978 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans I | Bike-urious

• Like 5